Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:18 PM
dgm
Default Check Engine Light

Hi all, ... new to this forum. It looks like a great place to talk about my new GTI!

I've had my GTI for a little over 2 weeks now and I've just thrown my 2nd Check Engine Light. My dealer is a good 40 min drive for me and taking it in there everytime for them to say, "its nothing, there are no codes" and reset my light is ridiculous. My car is stock. Do you all have this problem with your C.Eng. Lights? Should I take it seriously and take it in to the dealer? Is there any way of resetting the light myself? I know with my last truck, there was a certain procedure with the key in the iginition that would reveal any thrown codes in the dash computer. Anything like that on the GTI?

I just find this really annoying. A 2 week old vehicle should not have 2 check engine lights already.

thanks...

Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light

First of all, welcome! 2nd, Autozone runs codes for free, and I think some other places do, too. Dunno where you're at, but call up a shop and ask if they can run engine codes for you. What year GTI, and is any loss of power, or any symptoms coming up when the light is on?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 PM
dgm

Thanks bagel. I forgot about autozone. Thats definitely closer than my dealer. I may try that. To answer your question, no there doesn't appear to be any other symptoms or loss of power.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:43 PM
dgm

Went to autozone last night and the code is from a loose or faulty fuel cap. I disconnected the battery and it reset the warning light, but I'm thinking that my fuel cap might be faulty because I know that I put it on until it clicks every time. Anyone else come across this?

-daniel