black smoke question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Default black smoke question

I'm new to TDIs. I just got a 2002 golf TDI ( automatic) a few months ago and am curious to know more about the exaust. I'm not used to the black smoke. I'm not sure it is normal.

people are telling me that smoke is normal but I'm seeig a plume of black smoke or a burst of black smoke when i accelerate quickly.

The car has a quietly happy purring pop corn maker/tractor sound and seems very peppy, the gas mileage for in city was not seeming that great to me, it was 26 or 28 with my last fill up.

Befoe I got it, the mechanic had just replaced the fuel pump and changed out the fuel injectors before i bought it. He did say that the fuel injectors were supposed to be a newer type then the ones that were in it before so that might cause the engine to get more fuel...but is this plume of smoke typical has anyone had a similar thing happen after their fuel injectors were upgraded or is it something else unrelated?

Thanks you Sarah

Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: black smoke question

When you accelerate quickly, a heavy amount of fuel
is injected into the engine, It will smoke at that time, most
any vehicle will, but it should clear up quickly. If your
purchasing a poor grade of fuel it will be a little worse.
Most people will purchase the cheeper fuel thinking their
saving money, but their just kidding them selves. The
catalytic converter on the exhaust will also aid in making
the black smoke. Try a company owned Shell or Exxon
fuel and see if it helps. The fuel mileage for the auto
tranny sounds good to me. If the new injectors are an
up grade they could be pumping too much fuel into the
engine and that would also cause black smoke. All in all
black smoke is caused by fuel burning, and the exhaust
pipe on any car from about 1974 up will be black inside.
We would remove the catalytic converter back in the
early days and the tail pipe would clean up, however it's
against the law now to remove it.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:44 PM

As the other guy said some black smoke is common if you mat the pedal to the floor, but it would be a little puff if any, and you wouldnt be able to see it from the driver seat. I'm not sure where you're posting from but in Canada there's only one type of diesel fuel available at the pumps so that shouldnt be the problem. Black smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel in your exhaust, the different injectors that were installed could be a problem if they are not the right ones for your engine model. what you could do is look up the part number on the receipt from the mechanic and take it to a vw dealer and ask if they are the right ones for your engine code. If the mechanic that changed them mentioned that it might inject more fuel it sounds like he knew he did something wrong

Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM

I'm in The US (Ohio) and haven't put anything funny in my tank yet that I know of. I filled up first from Sunoco the second was Marathon. They don't sell biofuel here in Columbus yet as far as I can tell. I've only seen it for sale in the state next door. I'm not sure if the mentioned companies deisel are considered good or bad but I didn't notice a difference with one or the other.

While driving, if I need to accelerate to pass a car in order to change lanes in time for an exit, for example, I'll see a big dark cloud of smoke in my rear view window. and since I'm passing I feel like I'm putting the smoke right in the faces of the other dirvers- like I'm saying eat my dust in a way

The mechanic said that the fuel injectors were all he could think it would be. They had sent the fuel injectors into the company and exchanged them. I think the company refurbishes them.

The company sent back this different type calling them improved injectors. The mechanic said the car seemed to have more pickup after he was finished. He gave me all the paperwork so I will try your suggestion and call or visit a local dealership to see what they can find out.

You guys seem to know what you're talking about but if I hadn't mentioned the injectors, what would you still suspect them?

thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM

Injector pump timing could be too rich. That will make one
smoke like you suggesting. Diesel will smoke on acceleration
and you just might see it in the mirror, but it shouldn't be
as bad as your saying yours is.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Forgot to mention.....Diesel fuel is nothing but a blend
lf Kerosene and engine oil. It's not regulated like gasoline
so just about anywhere you purchase it as long as it a
name brand should work, The brands you mentioned are
usuall good brands. I don't see those brands any more
in Alabama.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM

Since you mentioned the injectors it would be one of the first things i check. Black smoke is caused by unburnt fuel in your exhaust, as mentioned before, you're getting too much fuel, or way too little air, as in if your turbo crapped out on you, but i don't think its that. Up until 2003 the tdi put out 90hp, in 2004 vw introduced a new injection pump for them called the pump deuse (sp?) which upped the horsepower to 100hp with basically the same engine, so it is very possible that the injectors that are required for the 2004 model would fit in the 2002 tdi's. More than likely the new injectors would have larger nozzlesto inject more fuel to get the hp increase, which in your case would result in a little more pickup, as the mechanic stated, less fuel economy due to injecting more fuel than required, and black exhaust smoke, once again because of injecting too much fuel. The injector pump timing, in my opinion is not the problem, if it were your car would likely run poorly, and potentially have white exhaust smoke. Improper injection pump timing does not cause it to inject more fuel as the piston stroke for it is preset and does not change based on the timing.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 AM

I hate to tell you but Vokswagen chaged the Injection system with the Pump Deuse injection system. It not only increased the horse power but now the AIR is throttled and the fuel is a constant. Different type of injectors and they are ONLY for this type of system. I have a 2004 TDI jetta wagen. I average close to 42 mpg. City about 40 and highway going 80 about 43. I have averaged 47mpg going 60 to 65 mph. This sytem is GREAT! I do use and injector cleaner with my fuel about every 3 fill-up. I get a little more smoke on start-up when car sits overnight. This tells me injectors are starting to carbon up alittle. I add the cleaner and blow the car out by some harder excelleration and going about 90 to 100 on I-75. I have had no problem with the injector system. I change the fuel filter every 25,000 miles and air filter every 12, 000. I have 132,075 on my car now! I use Amsoil 5-40 synthetic and change every 15,000 miles with changing the filter every 7,500. Amsoil is the best and you will notice a difference right away! Volkwagen had a RECALL on the Turbo cooler manifold. They had some leaking coolant into the Turbo causing them to go bad and inject antifreeze into the air causing smoke. Volkswagen at first balked at repairing them saying they didn't know what was wrong. I know 3 people who had a problem with their torbo's not running dropping their gas milage to the upper 20 mpg. I bet your turbo is only working part of the time. They had also a wiring short on the wireharness leading to the turbo. They have a replacementharness and VW knows about it but NO recall! Mine was fixed by a Dealer with a Mechanic who knew what to do. FREE of Charge at 45,000 miles. My engine light came on and I noticed a big drop in excelleration and fuel milage. Good Luck with the Turbo, They are $1250 for a new one or about $750 for a re-built one.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM

I think your mileage sounds low even for an automatic. I have a 99-1/2 and when I had the pump replaced the guy didn't time it right and got very similar symptoms. I then brought it to the dealer and they timed it and it got much better. I'd bring it to a dealer and have them check it for you