85 GTI fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Default 85 GTI fuel pump issues

Hello. I'm new to the VW forum. I just bought a very rough 85 GTI as a project for my youngest son's first car. The car hasn't been started in several months and the previous owner said that it had been hard to start prior to him parking it. I think the fuel pump is bad but having never worked on a VW before, I'm not completely sure I'm checking it correctly. I disconnected the fuel lines at the fuel box up front and cranked the engine, no fuel came from any line. I went down to the pump itself underneat the car and unhooked the output side and had my son crank the engine, no sounds from the pump and no output. I checked the voltage at the pump plug and had 12 volts while cranking engine. I then hooked the plug back up and checked the voltage on the two pump terminals while cranking. It was 9-10 volts, still no sound or vibrations from pump. Am I missing something simple or am I correct in thinking the pump is bad? I know there is another pump ( I think it is called the transfer pump) in the top of the fuel tank but I believe the one underneath is the main pump. I don't have a shop manual for the car yet but plan on getting one soon.