2.0t FSI/BPY crankshaft main bearing color codes and clearances

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 06:19 PM
Default 2.0t FSI/BPY crankshaft main bearing color codes and clearances

Can anyone help me out with the FSI/BPY main bearing color codes and bearing clearances? There are a few things I need help with:

1. My engine block reads RGRRR and my crankshaft reads GGRRR for main bearing color codes. However, my crankshaft was just polished at the machine shop, so I am thinking I am going to need larger bearings. I am in the process of measuring my crank mains with a micrometer and I have 2/5 journals measured so far. The 1st journal measured at 2.1244” and the second at 2.1245”. I’ll measure the other 3 a little later today. I can’t seem to find what measurement the crankshaft main journals are supposed to be close to from factory so I have no idea if this is close to factory spec or not. If anyone has a sizing chart of some sort that shows the main bearing color codes and sizes that would be great. Does 2.1244” and 2.1245” sound normal for the main crank journals on the 2.0t FSI? I know my crankshaft will differ slightly since the bearings are selective fit, but I just want to know how far off this crankshaft is generally from factory specs.

2.What kind of bearing clearances should I look for? I read that generally you should give 0.001” for every inch of journal diameter, but I don’t think this matches to Volkswagens specifications. If I go by this rule of thumb, I would need approx. 0.0021” of clearance for the first and second main. Does this sound about right? If anyone has the specifications from Volkswagen for bearing clearances that would be great. I would like to know general main bearing and rod bearing clearances from VW.

Update: the other 3 mains are 2.1246”.