Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wing mirror replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Default Wing mirror replacement!

Hey there!
Newbie here asking for some help and advice!
My mothers mk4 golf had the drivers mirror smashed off a couple of weeks ago when she was visiting her mum and dad! i have sourced a replacement for her (she doesnt know as its part of a last minute christmas present!!) and intend to fit it for her when she comes down on christmas day, What i would like to know is this!
What tools am i going to need to remove the door card and be able to get to the mirror it self, and what tool am i going to need to replace the mirror (it is heated and electric by the way!)
i am quite handy with the spanners and try to do most of the work on mine and the wife's car my self so hoping it wont be too tricky!
Any help and tips would be gratefully recieved!
Thanks in advance!
Timmo.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Jsd
Default RE: Wing mirror replacement!

Check the replacement mirror...see what you have to work with, you can check off tools by that. As for the wires, same deal...some are built with a snap in connector others are hard wired, worst case, gonna have to do some electrical work.
Let us know what the deal is with the wires on the replacement mirror, that way we can gauge what you might need or not be able to do depending on your resources and experience.

-Jeff

Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Mirror arrived this morning,has a 5 pin (used pins anyway!) multi plug connecter on the mirror loom, and it appears that the mirror is held on by one quite lage looking bolt! (due to the size of the threaded hole) and two plastic sections that appear that the bottom is positioned over the door edge and the top is then slotted in and held in by that before you bolt it on??? see pics!

Do you know what i will need to get the door card off??

Old 12-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Jsd

well the good news is, you wont have to do any electrical work which I was 99% sure you wouldnt...I don't know what you mean by door card...I'm Canada and I suppose everyone everywhere calls it something different, please explain what you mean by door card in just basic terms...describe it. Either way, it won't be a hard or long install.

-Jeff

Old 12-22-2005, 05:26 AM

Hi jeff,
The door card i refer too is the Trim cover for the inside of the door! On most of the cars i have worked on the door cards are normally held on by a couple of screws to hold on the internal doorr handle and the rest are small plastic style pins!
I just want to make surethe handle isnt held on by any funny style of screw etc! i know on french cars they are all held on by 'torque' end style screws and some others are held on with 'hex' headed ones so i just wanted to make sure that i had the appropriate tools!
Thanks for your help so far! it is very much appreciated!
Timmo

Old 12-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Jsd

good chance it's just a pop in pin, those plastic ones that break easily...just be careful when you remove the trim