Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tons of newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Default Tons of newb questions

Ok, so I want to upgrade the look of my car starting with the smallest aspects first.
1. Change the side markers and front bumper lenses (don't know if I want to go with clear or smoked? opinions)
2. Change the tail lights
3. Add the bottom grille mesh inserts
4. Add the spoiler to the back

I found these on Ebay and want to know if anyone has had any experience with them and if its worth the money?

bumper lenses

side markers

Tails

And if I was to buy these is it simple to switch them out or do I need to take of the fenders or the bumper to fix them?

The bottom one

grille for bottom

I also have a set of Sylvania 9003 CB bulbs that I have lying around and was wonder if I can switch those out with the lights I have in the headlights.

If you guys could just give me your opinions I'd appreciate it. I'll probably hold of till after winter to add all this but with xmas I can probably get some as gifts and save myself the money.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Default RE: Tons of newb questions

go to dubstop.com they have some great products for vw's

Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the site, I found a fender and bumper smoked lense combo for $40, but what about the tails and the grille insert? Good idea or what? From what I've read around Hella makes good lights so.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:35 AM

the bumper markers are easy, but kind of confusing, you have to push in on them on the front side, which will give due to a spring, then slide them kind of into the bumper just enough to clear the backing and then slide the whole thing out sideways, i know that sounds confusing but just go try it, pretty simple once you see. i got mine on ebay for like 15 bucks i think and they worked out great
As for the grill inserts, i dont like mesh that much so i stuck with the stock plastic inserts(modified for intake) and got a JOM badgeless to match them.
If rocks hit a mesh grill it will either give and bend or chip, plastic is more durable.
Dont know about the tails i left the stockers and for teh spoiler, im getting one soon but depending on the one you get is can be bolt on or merely placed on with 3M double sided tape.
good luck hope this helped
-j

Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks,

What about the bumper lenses in the front do they come out similiar? Do I have to take off the bumper? And I can just snap the new side markers on right no wiring to do or anything?

Yea I had the mesh in my civic and it held up pretty good, I don't know if I'll actually get that or not.

What are some good tailight brands if I want to go for genuine parts not EBAY knockoffs? Hella are tops right?

Also I was wondering about the daytime running lights? I can just take the **** out and put a peice of electrical tape over the pin and that will shut them off right?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to the whole VW scene.