Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering / tyre problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Default Steering / tyre problems

I recently purchased a 1999 golf 1900 sdi. After 2 weeks i noticed the steering weel did not settle in the centre but passed it off as being normal. After another week or sothe car started to drag to the left hand side slightly. Another week later Iset off down the M1 as soon as I got above 65mph the whole car vibrated heavily. So I checked the tyres and pressures, everything seemed ok. Continued after about an hour at 60 - 65 mph the front left tyre exploded, taking with it the ABS sensor.

I quickly changed to the spare tyre which is not a tempory tyre its a proper one that is old. As soon as I set off the steering wheel returned to its natural central position and the vibration had gone no problems.

The next day had a new tyre put on, as soon as this had happened the steering wheel was off centre and dragging to one side again. The garage told me some B.S. about a new tyre being slightly bigger than the other and give it a few weeks. After 2 weeks and maybe 500 - 800 miles the steering was now dragging hard to one side and a wobble has now started when at low speeds 0 - 35 mph, the front end of the car shakes left to right, at first you could hardly notice, now I wont drive it because it feels unsafe. I have not crashed it or anything and a small garage told be one of the axels is "Probably" bent. They can not say for sure.

Does anyone know what might have happened or have you had a similar experience?

I am taking it to VW service centre in leeds tomorrow to see what they say but would be grateful for any advice.

Regards

Dan Walmsley