Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator leaking advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Default Radiator leaking advice

Have had a problem with my Coolant. Big red sign came up on my computer screen saying STOP coolant low. Really freaked me out the first time as the stop sign is quite big and it beeps.

Couldn't see any leaks and finally took it to a VW garage to have it checked over. They found a problem with the radiator (plus the break pads and wipers) and because it was all classed as wear and tear it wasn't covered under the warantee. Have had the car nearly a year (it's a 53 model) and was hoping I wouldn't have to pay out too much. VW said it would cost me nearly £800 to get everything fixed!!! Told them to hold off and rang a garage I usually use. They quoted be just under £500.

My radiator is now leaking and my car isn't going into the garage till Thursday. Do you think it is ok to drive as long as I carry water with me just incase??? Could I do any damage driving it? The VW guys didn't say not to drive it.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Milpip

Old 08-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Default RE: Radiator leaking advice

certainly you could incur much severe damage on it since the radiator had already damaged.. radiator as a vital cooling engine system component, the part does most of the work in maintaining an ideal range of operating temperature..its fuel combustion process is important in sustaining smooth engine run, away from ACCIDENTS or CAR FAILURES.. what i did with my '84 is volkswagen rabbit radiator installation..perhaps it would be possible not to use it either..