Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about replacing ECM

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Default Question about replacing ECM

History of my problem is first. To just get to the actual question just skip to the last few lines.

History
I have a 2001 Golf 2.0. A few months ago my check engine light came on and the computer started outputting codes P0103 (mass airflow sensor high input) and P0172 (system too rich). I also started experiencing problems where the engine would sometimes shutter and die as soon as the accelerator was depressed.

I replaced the mass airflow sensor, had the system reset and everything seemed fine until the check engine light came back on with the same two codes. All of the actual symptoms (engine shuttering/dying) disappeared, but the codes kept coming back. Eventually I took it to a mechanic who, after three days of testing everything under the sun, came to the conclusion that I probably did have a bad MAF originally, but now something has gone wrong with the engine control module (ECM) and it needs to be replaced.

My mechanic wouldn't touch the ECM saying that a new one is something only a VW dealership can program and install.

Question
My question is this: if I go to a junk yard and find an ECM from a VW Golf and install it myself, what kinds of problems might I run in to? From everything I've read/been told the problem with a new ECM is that it needs to be programmed by VW, so presumably an ECM out of a used Golf shouldn't have that problem?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM
Question Need Help

I have a 99 cabrio base convertible. My daughter drove it on a flood. I removed and checked the starter and alternator. Both are dead so I am replacing them. I am also replacing the ignition coil, spark plugs, egr valve, draining the engine and transmission of fluids and replacing the filters. I will even drop the oil and transmission pan so I can blow dry and clean the inside of the engine and transmission. How do I know if I need to replace the ecm and tcm? Is there anything else I need to replace? Im an trying to salvage the engine. How can I tell if it is not worth saving and better slap a used engine? Thanks for all the advice I can get.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Replacing the ecu isn't easy as they aren't plug & play.

VAG Error Code: 16487/7332/000259
EOBD II Error Code: P0103

Fault Location:
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) - Signal too High

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Probably no serious malfunctions.
Loss or Power.

Wiring/Connector(s) (short circuit?).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) defective.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) signal 4500 µs.
Check/Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).

Special Notes:
In MY 1995-2002 (?) in Europe at VW diesel cars Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70) had the bad reputation of slowly losing his performance, causing loss of power. It's not a matter of defective or breaking down, but it is filthy/dirty (not easy to clean). You can check functionality by making a log in [01-engine], [Measuring Value Blocks-08], group 003 (3e gear, full throttle, from 1700-4000rpm).

Tech Notes:
Before replacing the mass air flow sensor, try replacing the air filter and cleaning the air flow sensor with low compress air or mass air flow sensor cleaner. Reset code and drive vehicle. If the code comes back, it may be necessary to replaced the mass air flow sensor.

When is the code detected?:
An excessively high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM)

Description:
The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is placed in the stream of intake air. It measures the intake flow rate by measuring a part of the entire intake flow. It consists of a hot film that is supplied with electric current from the Engine Control Module (ECM).

The temperature of the hot film is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) a certain amount. The heat generated by the hot film is reduced as the intake air flows around it. The more air, the greater the heat loss. Therefore, the Engine Control Module (ECM) must supply more electric current to maintain the temperature of the hot film as air flow increases. The Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the air flow by means of this current change.

VAG Error Code: 16556/000370
EOBD II Error Code: P0172

Fault Location:
Fuel Trim, Bank 1 - System too Rich

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Excessive Fuel Consumption.
Irregular behaviour

Fuel system.
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
Vapour recovery system.
Air leaks after the Mass air flow (MAF) sensor.
Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (G70).
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62).
Vacuum leaks.
Improper seated engine oil dipstick.
Stuck Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.
Oil overfill.
Cam timing.
Cylinder compression.
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Purge Control Valve (N80).
Fuel pressure.
Injector(s).
Exhaust leaks before or near Heated Oxygen Sensors (G39).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
At idle Adaptive value < -5.02%.
At part load Adaptive value < -21%.

Special Notes:
Fuel Trim Information.

When is the code detected?:
Fuel injection system does not operate properly.
The amount of mixture ratio compensation is too large. (The mixture ratio is too rich.)

Description:
With the Air/Fuel Mixture Ratio Self-Learning Control, the actual mixture ratio can be brought closely to the theoretical mixture ratio based on the mixture ratio feedback signal from the heated oxygen sensors 1. The Engine Control Module (ECM) calculates the necessary compensation to correct the offset between the actual and the theoretical ratios.

In case the amount of the compensation value is extremely large (The actual mixture ratio is too lean.), the Engine Control Module (ECM) judges the condition as the fuel injection system malfunction and light up the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) (2 trip detection logic).