Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with MK2 Golf, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Default Problem with MK2 Golf, can anyone help?

Hello there...

I'm having a problem with my MK2 Golf, its a 1991 1600 Petrol (Manual). This problem started happening very occasionally but now it seems to be every other journy, if not every journy. After driving for a while the car loses power, it sounds and feels like the fuel isn't getting through to the carb, eventually the car completely slows down and stalls. Sometimes keeping the accellerator depressed is enough to sort it, when this works it sounds like I'm forcing past some blockage. However, more recently this doesn't work and I have to pull over and turn the engine off. After a few minutes I'm able to get her going again.

I did think at first it may be happening because I keep the car fairly low on petrol and some bits might be coming through from the bottom of the tank, so recently I'v kept her well topped up, but with no improvement.

Has anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking maybe fuel pump? I'd really appreciate any help, the cars not worth much at all but I've grown quite attached and would hate to get rid of her over such a silly problem.

Thanks

Rich