Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Default Picking up maintenance

Ok, I'll be getting a 85 Golf tonight, I believe the engine is a 1.8 8 valve. I talked to a friend of mine about general maintenance and upkeep, he seemed to think that it would be good to look into replacing the timing belt very soon. I was skeptical until he mentioned that the engine is an interference design, so broken belt = expensive repairs. He also mentioned replacing the water pump at the same time. This makes some sense, as I don't have all the history on this car. Also, is it normal for the timing belt to be exposed on this car? The engine compartment is neat and tidy, so I'm not concerned of a lack of maintenance, just not experienced with these cars or engines. The suspension has had a recent tune up including new wheel bearings. The injection system was either replaced or completely rebuilt. Plugs cap and wires are all new in the last 5k as well. I have a feeling the radiator fan cooling system went bad somehow, because the fan is wired into a switch in the cabin.

Other than the quirks I mentioned, the car is in remarkably good shape and I would like to keep it that way as long as possible. Are there any other preventative maintenance issues I should perform within the next few days/weeks/months? Any info I can get I would greatly appreciate. I've always held VW's in high regard and now I get to find out how nice these cars are first hand. Thanks...

Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Default RE: Picking up maintenance

Something else I found out on the way home, the oil pressure light kept coming on at highway speeds after the engine was warmed up. I suspect either the pressure sender or the sender relay on the back of the instrument panel, as I checked the oil, levels are good and the seller claims it does not burn oil. I'm thinking about replacing the OEM pump with a 2.0L pump, which is the general concensus regarding the 1.8L engines. Bigger gears, more oil flow.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Default RE: Picking up maintenance

I replaced the high and low oil pressure sensors and that fixed my problem on my '92 Golf. Cost next to nothing for the sensors and were easy to install.