Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my dealer taking me for a ride?

Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Default Is my dealer taking me for a ride?

Hi all,

I'd like a bit of advice on my 2003 Golf 1.6S 16V.

I booked it in to a local Volkswagen dealership for a service and first MOT. The emissions light was on and the car was running pretty rough at low revs. They called to let me know that they had to disable the emissions light to get the car through it's MOT which it passed.

When I went to pick it up, the emissions light was still on. I questioned why this hadn't been resolved and they told me they would need to run a full diagnostics check which would cost another £45.

They are now saying that the throttle body needs cleaned out to clear the emissions light. This sounds fair enough, but the mechanic seemed to panic a bit when I asked how it managed to pass an MOT with a clogged up throttle body (the UK MOT is pretty strict on emissions).

Does this sound feasible, or are they trying to screw more money out of me?

Also, isn't disabling an emissions alarm to get a car through it's MOT illegal?

Thanks,

Dave.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Is my dealer taking me for a ride?

I lived in England for 3 years, and they are pretty strict. It seems pretty fair what they're doing. They could've failed you, and then you fix it yourself. Seems pretty nice that they're gonna fix it for you, but to cover your butt, get an estimate for what they're gonna do. Disabling the light in order to pass it, I've done worse, some of those are scotch drinkers..*wink* I dunno talk to them and find out exactly what they're plans are.