Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor not happy - Bad EGR valve? Oil leak? or something else

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 11:43 AM
Default Motor not happy - Bad EGR valve? Oil leak? or something else

I need some tips and advice on repairing my Volkswagen Golf 2005 FSI 2.0 automatic gear - repair, sell or scrap if necessary.

A couple of weeks ago at the end of April, the engine light appeared on the display while driving. I bought an obdII trouble code reader and identified that it was trouble code 17811 - Exhaust gas recirculation system, Control difference, ie. EGR valve. I then took the car to a workshop within a couple of days, where they confirmed that the EGR valve's cogwheels were broken, and that the valve was stuck in an open position. I told the mechanics that the car was unusually slow at the beginning of a drive and while accelerating, but they did not think so after driving it a bit.

They gave me information on what it would cost to repair, but emphasized that it was not bad / wrong to drive the car. It would only need to be fixed before the annual inspection. I followed their advice, purchased an EGR valve with the correct original number with the plan to replace it soon (have not yet), and have only driven the car a couple of times since then.

THEN YESTERDAY when I was on my way to work, the following message appeared on the display with a beeping sound: “STOP! Oil Pressure Engine Off ”.
I immediately drove onto a roadside and put on warning lights. After a quick googling, I realized that this was a serious sign. I still drove it for the remaining 10 minutes to work and then 20 minutes later in the day to my parents where it is now parked.

Unfortunately, I have been bad at filling up the car with engine oil, and the oil stick was super dry when I looked at it right after the engine light came on a few weeks ago. I bought engine oil and gradually replenished, about 2 litres in total. At the workshop, they looked at the oil level and found that there was a bit too much oil in the container.

So my question is now - have I, having very little experience with cars, managed to destroy the engine because I did not refuel with engine oil earlier? Or is something clogged because of too much oil? I have not seen any leaks, and as I have mentioned there was plenty of oil when I last looked about ten days ago.

The car is a bit jerky and it is, as I said, slow to drive, mainly at lower speeds. I do not want to be totally ripped off in the workshop, and therefore need tips on which decision is best to make in this situation.

All tips and advice are appreciated on what the next step should be.