Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MkV coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Default MkV coolant loss

Hi folks. Does anyone else own a MkV Golf 2.0GT FSI (2005) that loses coolant? My car’s just four years old and has covered 34k, a couple of months back it started to lose coolant at the rate of about a litre for every 250/300 miles. Every car I’ve owned in the past has only needed a slight top up about every 5000miles. At first I couldn’t see any drips under the car engine bay area so was finding it difficult to trace. There's no milky froth in the engine oil so hopefully the head gasket's fine. I took it to my local V.W. dealer who diagnosed a split top hose (although I didn’t see this when I visually inspected it) so I told them to go ahead and repair it. That didn’t fix it and I also started to see a leak on the driveway, under the engine area following the ‘repair’. I took it back and they then diagnosed a leaking water pump (on a car with 34k on the clock??) After having to negotiate their ridiculous price down I went ahead with the work. The car is still losing water and I’m rapidly losing (or probably have lost) faith in the dealers ability to sort the problem. I know previous models of Golf had similar issues (for which I don’t know the cure unfortunately) but thought they might have ironed them out by now. Anyone got any ideas before I let them try to fix it for a third time.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: MkV coolant loss

my hose coming from the heater core on the firewall was leaking and I couldn't even see it cause the rack & pinion is there so it drips on that and not the ground.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Default RE: MkV coolant loss

That sounds as if it might be the problem. Sometimes when i first start the car in the morning i can hear a bit of a gurggling sound coming from within the heater area, perhaps air is leaking into the heater matrix/core then as a result of a water leak around that area.
Thanks for that bagel, looks like you might have found me the answer, or at least pointed me in the right direction.