Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im new, glad to see vw fans

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Default Im new, glad to see vw fans

Hello, i just picked up my first VW. I got a v8 86 golf. I never realized how fun they were to drive! anyways i have a few questions about the car i picked up (excuse me if i break any rules, feel free to yell) i have 118k on it and as you know its a 86. What kind of spark plugs would you recommend for my car? I wanna get it quick. I had the springs cut by a mechanic (free) and also had the tail lights smoked free. Im curious tho, what should i get done to the engine/tranny that all together (without labor) cost about 1k. basicly what im asking is what can i get done that is most cost effective? Also, does anyone know why it leaks water into my floor on the driver and passanger side? Thanks guys, i am lookin forwaurd to getting a response from fellow vw lovers. (first car was a bmw.. **** them. THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE TO FIX!)

Old 11-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Im new, glad to see vw fans

Well, first, welcome. 2nd of all, VW's are just as expensive to fix. 3rd, why in the world would you cut your springs?? In about 3 months your springs are gonna come off and you won't have any strut left. Never ever cut a spring, you're just asking for trouble. Lastly, you said V8 Golf?? Maybe a VR6, or something like it, but not a V8? I dunno, it's late, but anyways basic cheap mods are always intake/exhaust. Most, if not all, start out intake/exhaust and go from there.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 AM

oops, i meant 8v. typo. anyways, thats lame to know know that i cut the springs, i cant imagine this guy who worked on my car didnt know what he was doing, he works at an auto shop for a living as the head guy. but stranger things have happened. I cant get a cone intake though because the fuel injectors would have to be relocated correct?

Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 AM

what do you mean the injectors would have to be relocated? that makes no sense what-so-ever.
Bagel is right about cut springs, its a cheap way to lower a car but it wont last and its really bad for the rest of the suspension. so be careful

Old 11-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

The only things worse than cutting the springs is heating them up and taking the temper out. The car just sways and floats, very bad. Fuel injectors don't get relocated, they have a designated home, and that's where they stay. Just route a pipe, or look for the one that fits your car.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:30 PM

word

Old 11-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Alright, well i wish i would have known that before the springs were cut. i will be making a new post "help my springs flew out of my car today!" in a few months now, live and learn though

Old 11-20-2006, 12:42 PM

haha, at least you have a good attitude about it. you could always buy drop springs now and put them on the car before something goes bad. probably be a good idea and you can find them pretty cheap.