Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How good's the vin decoder here?

Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Default How good's the vin decoder here?

I joined up because I will soon be purchasing a 2011 Golf and found the vin decoder on this page.

It seemed to have the general details right but I was simply wondering if the details there are correct or if there's some fudge factor involved and I should just stop up at the service counter and get them to print everything off for me.

Also, is it true that the same exact car in the US has a substantially lower towing capacity than the rest of the world?

Old 11-20-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

I've used it once it just shows basic details. There are no free VIN decoders online, I've tried them all.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
I've used it once it just shows basic details. There are no free VIN decoders online, I've tried them all.
This one here showed all manner of details including a great deal of options, DSG trans, seemingly correct details about sunroof and stuff.

At any rate I should be in the car by this time next week, possibly sooner.

I have a couple of friends who swear they are junk but my experience with a TDI Jetta was pretty positive and this Golf rides nicely. I just hope these so-called "transmission problems" with the DSG are just a case of a minority issue being inflated by people yelling loudly.
If I like the car I may very well try to trade it in for a manual in the future anyways.

Anyone else have any input, things I should know about the car, worthwhile accessories for someone who's gonna be driving 400+ miles a week in it, etc?

Old 11-21-2018, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

There are places that show full info but you have to pay for that.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:04 AM

Well i'm going to have to disagree with your previous comments because I had time to go over everything this one listed now that I have the car and every detail from the tire size to interior color and metallic interior trim was correct.

Perhaps you should give it another go?

I suppose it is possible that literally everything I have is standard (I dont know what all the options are) but that seems unlikely.

The only thing not listed was the body color, it just showed all the options there.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

The data stick will show all things fitted when it left the factory. The paint code is LB9A in this example.

You can check the options codes at VW/Audi/Seat/Škoda Option Codes Decoder

Old 11-25-2018, 10:26 AM

I honestly think you're not even reading what I've posted lol

The vin decoder on this website was entirely correct with the sole exception of the exterior paint. I checked the options codes to verify the things I couldn't find directly.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spear
Well i'm going to have to disagree with your previous comments because I had time to go over everything this one listed now that I have the car and every detail from the tire size to interior color and metallic interior trim was correct.

Perhaps you should give it another go?

I suppose it is possible that literally everything I have is standard (I dont know usa today protonmail what all the options are) but that seems unlikely.

The only thing not listed was the body color, it just showed all the options there.
It seemed to have the general details right but I was simply wondering if the details there are correct or if there's some fudge factor involved and I should just stop up at the service counter and get them to print everything off for me.

Last edited by paityda; 09-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.