Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey, I am a Noob and i have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Default Hey, I am a Noob and i have some questions

Hey, my name is Ayaz Ansari (Weird name b/c im middle eastern) (If its weird to you...)
I am 17 years old and i live in Baltimore, MD

Well i have been driving my stick shift vw golf for about 4-5 weeks now and im having a blast.

Ok lets get this started, i guess ill tell you the specs ( no pics today, maybe tommorow)
I dont know that much about cars at all, or anything but if you ask me something i dont know, ill try my best to figure it out and im here to learn mostly.

1.I have a 2002 vw golf 2-0 liter engine.
2.Its White
3.A lip on the front bumper
4.Small side skirts
5.A rear valance
6.An Exhaust system
7.Black Taillights
8.Eyelids/eyebrows w/e you want to call it
9.18" Rims (im currently looking for 17s, 18s too big) (my steering wheel shakes sometimes at high speeds and handling isnt all that)
About the 18" rims, I used to have spacers in between the rims and the rusty part (maybe the brake caliber not sure) and at 60-70miles my car would shake, then i took them off recently and the shaking went down when i took off the first two (shakes now at 70-80+) and now i took off the back two (i have only been at 90 so far since and hasnt been shaking yet) [[BTW this is MPH not Kilometers)
10.New Shift ***
11.Stock stearing wheel (looking for a new one, mine has had its airbag deployed and i have not replaced it, also the horn doesnt work) Im probably just going to get a new one b/c it looks kind of rough, and i have no airbag(airbag light is on)
Also, a question I have my check engine light on and i went to a mechanic and they have did some type of electical test and said there were no codes on it, could this somehow be links to not havig an airbag??)
12.I have Xenon headlights(however you spell it)
13. 20% tints on all windows (which is illegal and was recently pulled over for it...and have been issued a repair order) So now i will take off my front two tints and keep all the others the same.
14.No soundsystem really, but i have a headunit and sound is decent(sound isnt that big of a deal)
15. Pretty soon maybe tommorow will have an cold air intake

I want a new center console b/c mine is tearing up and a new shift *** area (like the place where u put the change and around the shift ***)

So, this is basically it(i think) SORRY if its hard to read...
I wanted it turbo charged at one point but it might cost too much or super charged (btw whats the difference between turbo charged and super charged??)

On the back it says GTI (which it isnt, its just a golf) It isnt too fast, b/c its just a 2.0 4 cyllinder engine...
I want to do some slight modifcations to get it faster and better. But i dont know what to do..

So how much is the cheapest turbo or the cheapest super charger...

Right now on my things to do list:
-Cold air intake
-New Racing seats
-Seatbelt straps (the straps that go over the seatbelt for more comfort)
-Maybe decals on front winshield
-Blow off valve(even though i dont have a turbo it just sounds so cool)
-New steering wheel with a airbag

And should i get a STRET BAR? (again i dont know the spelling)

Thank you, and i am sorry for the crappy format but that is how my mind is right now lol.

Ill have pics tommorow hopefully

Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Default RE: Hey, I am a Noob and i have some questions

Seat belts? u mean the racing harnesses? 4 or 5 point? do some interent research im 17 too and just picked up a rusted out old 69 beetle im going to be restoring good luck with ur car bro

l8er

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM

yea racing harnesses.

Thanks lol

Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM

what did you mean 4-5 points?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM

sounds like a good car. If it is only a 2 door then it is a gti, and a blow off valve wont work unless you have some sort of forced induction (turbo or supercharger) and if you are going to boost it a turbo set up would be cheaper. other than that i would like to see those pictures

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

OK, so what I would do is FIRST, fix the things that need fixing.
2nd, the reason for the shakes is prolly cause someone didn't balance the tires right, if they did they didn't balance them with the spacers nor installed them right.
3rd, airbag light on with the check engine light on
AND finally, turbo is better cause you can put out more HP, and not take away form the HP in the motor with the supercharger. Superchargers are more for V8's they put out ridiculous HP with superchargers, but turbo's are for the smaller engines...that's my opinion anyways.
SO, here's what I reccomend as a starting point:1)intake 2)cat back exhaust sytem 3)underdrive pulley kit 4)GIAC Chip

Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM

I just got an intake yesterday, i have an exhaust gotta find out the model ( my brother had it intsalled )

and i gotta find that digital camera lol

And i cant figure out why the check engine light is on...I went to a mechanic and he said there are no codes showing up

Old 05-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

engine light on and no codes are downloaded? Either his software is old...or your airbag light is on, or maybe they're not hard faults. I dunno maybe something stupid..lol.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 PM

my airbag lights are on lol

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

(damn I'm gangster..ha ha JK) So that's why you don't have any codes downloading cause your airbag light is the problem. Take it to the dealer..mine wasn't very much at all...something stupid went bad changed it no light.

Quick Reply: Hey, I am a Noob and i have some questions