Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with reading list

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Default help with reading list

I need to put together a good reading list/set of mauals for rebuilding a vw diesel engine.

I have an 84 Rabbit diesel (1.6 N/A) with a very tired motor. I had the compression tested and cylinder 4 is only showing ~100 aka, that cylinder is likely (certainly) not firing. So I have an old car that most people would junk or donate to some tax charity... mucking with the engine really isn't gambling anything.

I have always thought I would rebuild this engine when its death arrived. That time is almost here. I am going to extend its life another few months by putting in a block heater for morning start up. The motor does run(38-40 mpg), and once up to operating temp, smokes only when I lose patience at acceleration. Come fall I hope to decommission and rebuild.

I'm not an idiot when it comes to engine work but wouldn't call myself much more than a novice. Anybody have suggestions for good books that walk you through the process/outline the specialty tools needed? I have the Haynes manual and am looking for the Bentley on ebay. Any other suggestions from those of you who have been through this would be great

Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: help with reading list

Never go wrong with a Chiltons, but may not be anymore help than the Haynes. Some special things you will need, inside micrometer for the cylinder walls, teflon tape for measuring bearing clearance, if you're doing head work you're gonna have to know what the measurement is on your valves.