Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Golf tdi mystery non starter. Think your smart try this one on for size.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Default HELP!! Golf tdi mystery non starter. Think your smart try this one on for size.

Here is a head scratcher for you all. Puzzled everyone i have spoken to.

My 1999 golf 1.9 tdi (non pd) was over pressurising but other than that the engine ran fine. That’s not really the problem, due to the mileage i decided to change the engine rather that work on it. I got hold of an engine from an apparently running car from a breakers and fitted it.

I fit to the new engine the old pump, the old flywheel, the old clutch, the old tdc sensor, the old injectors, the old glow plugs and all the old sensors. I fitted a new cambelt kit (using pins and a setting bar)

NOW THE BLOODY THING WON’T START!!

It turns over fine, it sounds like it has compression, and feels like it when you turn it over by hand. It is getting fuel up to all injectors (squirting out the top when slackened off 1/4 of a turn. Double, triple checked the timing, all ok. Will run and rev on easy start (evil stuff i know). There are no fault codes, the immobiliser light goes out and i have tried tow starting it and still nothing.

Any ideas i would love to hear because i am all out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM

Glow plug relay has lost its earth (ment to come from the ecu I think) checked all fuses but they are all ok, removed the glowplugs and tested them but giving the relay an earth and they work. But it still doesn't start. Without checking the tdc sensor and needle lift sensor with a osilescope (which I dont have) I am out of ideas.