Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head scratching fuel prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Default head scratching fuel prob

Hi guys! New to the forums here, and I have a problem. I have a '94 golf, 1.6, 4 dr hatch, 5 spd, and my fuel pump has stopped working. My first thought was the relay, so I changed it and still nothing. Then I thought it might be the pump itself, and if I check voltage at the plug under the accesshatch in the cargo compatrment floor, that would confirm my suspicion. Thenit popped into my head last night that when I turn the key to on, the momentary click of thefuelpump relay doesn't happen, and if the relay is not closing, then there would be a no power readingat the plug, right? My question is this, would the fuel pumpbeing bad keep the relay from kicking at all? Cause it seems to me that if it is the pump itself, the relay would still click, but the pump wouldn't whir. If it's not the pump, then what could it be? I have given myselfa headache trying to rack my brains for the answer, but so far nothing, so I thought I would ask some people thatknew a little more than me about this car. Oh, and I don't know if this would make a diff, but it is a german spec golf, as I live in germany. ( and in case you are wondering, no, I don't speak german) Thanksin advance for your time and help. Peace.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: head scratching fuel prob

I can't tell you much about what the relay in that car shold or shouldn't do. BUT, I would recommend getting a price on the pump - if it's reasonable ... probably could use a change anyway. Then ... that's the big check off the list. The other thought is to make sure that your connection is good at the pump?

That's my 2 cents.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Default RE: head scratching fuel prob

i know that those pumps keep a constant pressure and any extra get recycled back into the tank, I have a full manual on a pdf file here is the link, if you cant get it ill send it to you via email just ask, it has about 4 dif systems and its very desrciptive and best of all it is free. here is the link

http://www.pdffiles.org/volkswagen.html