Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Golf Mk4 GT TDi 150: major problem with economy, but why???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Question Golf Mk4 GT TDi 150: major problem with economy, but why???

Hi all,
So I’ve had an issue for a long while now with the economy of my Golf Mk4 GT TDi 150. When I drive it conservatively its returning numbers of low 20’s around town and low 40’s out of town. These cars should be more like high 30’s around town and mid 50’s out!!

I had my cambelt changed in December 2009 (in high insight by a bit of a cowboy) and noticed a sort of whistling coming from the engine on acceleration. It has made this noise ever since. At first I thought it might be an air leak somewhere in the charge air system. I was experiencing a lack of boost and reduced economy. Had it looked at and it turned out that the intercooler was leaking. Have since had it replaced and the rest of the system checked and all looked OK. I’ve gained the boost back but the economy has not changed. I have also had the front discs and pads replaced and one rear calliper to replace a seized one. So, so far I have eliminated any possibilities of binding brakes or leaking intercoolers.

My next thoughts turned to the cowboy that changed my cambelt. It is possible that he did a c**p job without the right tools and as a result is it possible that the timing could be out and hence the reduction in economy? I have read threads on various forums about timing affecting fuel consumption. I don’t quite know how it does and need to do a bit of reading up on the issue. However I then thought how could engine timing create a whistling noise from the charge air system?? I then considered things like the wastegate being stuck open, problems with the EGR, vacuum lines or MAF sensor. Or could it be a combination of two or more problems coincidentally?? I don’t know a massive amount about the engines side of cars and any thoughts or ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else experienced any similar problems?? I’ve heard that the wastegates on Golf 4’s are notoriously bad and can often get stuck open. This would account for the whistling and poor economy. However I can’t seem to locate it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
J.