Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Default Check Engine Light Issues

Is there anything that typically triggers the CEL in '01 Golfs??

Ours has been on steadily for the past couple of weeks.

TIA

~laurie

Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Default RE: Check Engine Light Issues

Okay, from what I've been hearing it's likely teh Catalitic Converter. I have no idea what that is, but supposidly over in Europe they have much cleaner fuel (97 octane is the norm I think) whereas here that is considered premium. So NA fuel is dirty and rough on the engines.l

Old 04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light Issues

Sorry for the long delay. Upon getting my car checked by a mechanic a few days ago........YES your right it does seem to be the cat as I asked him I was getting a hollow sound underneath the car and sure enough he said it's the catalytic converter.

After getting the engine lightdiagnosed as well as the cat I received the luck of this problem getting worse. I almost did not make it back to my home yesterday. The check engine light this time started blinking and upon 0-5 mph it started sputtering from the muffler.

I read on another forum that the Cat can get clogged? If this is the case does it sound like this is the culprit to my issue? I filled the engine up with more oil just to make sure, but I don't see how I needed too as I just got the oil changed a few days ago.

I started the engine up today and even on idle it sounded like it was sputtering from the back. If I hollow out the cat will this problem go away? If not does anyone know how much a used or new cat will cost me for my MK4 Golf GLS?