Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 GL Running Terrible

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Default 94 GL Running Terrible

This is my first VW and I don't know too much about them. Here is my problem, I haven't started my car in over a week. The other day I went out to pick up some things and when I went to start it, it hicuped a few times ran really rough and quit. I started it again this time it continued running but the idle was rough, I started off in first and it was running fine, put it in second and it was hitching something terrible. The car was running for approx 20mins and not getting any better in second gear, so I ran the **** outta it 6K in second and so on. After that it ran great, I went to the store turned it off started it again and went home again with no problems. Well today I went out to start it and it will turn and turn and turn, and nothing not even any signs of wanting to start. Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Default RE: 94 GL Running Terrible

fixed it

Old 07-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what you did to fix it, so the members can keep it in mind next time something like this happens to them...thanx in advance.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 AM

it was prob something super simple, with these cars ive learned the most simple things mess these cars up lol

Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

very true, I thought I had a misfire cause my car wasn't running very soon, I changed all kinds of things. Even ran engine codes which said misfire, turns out the cat was red hot and glowing, so it's plugged. Who knew simple things fix huge problems?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Jsd

I wish I had simple problems...both front wheel bearings, both tie rod ends and both ball-joints hahahahahaha
My baby is in for some serious TLC. Oh, a while ago I couldn't diagnose this clunking sound I was getting over bumps and what not and it was driving me nuts. Since the wheel bearings are being done, we discovered the ball joint was at the end of its life...which clunked since it had so much play. So happy I found that stupid noise.

-Jeff

Old 07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ha ha ha ha kinda funny how that works out. Something's driving you crazy, you try and tolerate it, and then you just stumble onto it...classic!

Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 PM

i had the same prob on my front driver side, it was so loud, but it was only my ball joint and then i had a wheel alignment done, totally worth it lol

Old 07-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Jsd

Yup...im kinda ticked off though. I went to get a wheel alignment done a good while ago, before the wheel bearings started to go and I told the guy to check my ball joints for any play, he says he did but I know he didn't check them properly. Resulted in an inproper wheel alignment and now I have to go back and get another one done, but this time it'll align properly...not going back to that guy though!. It drives straight but lets see how long I can tolerate my steering wheel being ridiculously off centre lol.

-Jeff

Old 08-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Sorry about the delayed response but it ended up being the rotor button...the metal piece that comes in contact with the distributer cap was half missing. Now I have a new problem the car is smoking bad oil smell, what is gone now? Rings? Valves? Something else?

Quick Reply: 94 GL Running Terrible