Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Golf TDI stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Default 2002 Golf TDI stopped running

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2002 VW Golf TDI. I do gas, but diesel is a little on the foreign side to me. I bought this car from another guy that said the car was driving down the road and just shut off. The timing belt appears to have plenty of tension on it. The only thing I can find at the moment is that I see air in the clear line going to the IP; its one big bubble about an inch long. I cracked each line open while cranking to try to purge the air, but all I get is a diesel stream. The glow plug light cycles, I see the fuel going through the line while cranking but the strange thing about the bubble is that it always comes back up to the top of the clear line. And their arent numerous little bubbles, just the one. I can squirt a tiny bit of ether down the intake and it will fire right up and run until the ether dissipates, so I believe the timing is ok. Not sure where else to start at the moment. I have researched the relay 109 thing, but I cant seem to find what the symptoms are of a bad relay. It is the gray relay 109, not the black one that I keep hearing about that melts down or dies. I have replaced the O rings on the return line T on the fuel filter, and have replaced all clamps with new ones to try to see if that was the air leak. Maybe a fuel shutoff solenoid, but if it was bad, the diesel wouldn't try to cycle through the lines when cranking or come out the injectors when I try to bleed them, would it? Sorry for such a long post, just scratching my head at the moment. Any input would really be helpful! Thanks in advance

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Also the only codes I could pull out of the ECM was "glow plug circuit, cylinders 1,2,3 and 4". Thanks again!