Volkswagen Golf
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 vw golf. not turn over. short?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Unhappy 2000 vw golf. not turn over. short?

I have a 2000 vw golf. recently replaced the crank sensor and the timing belt. The car has been running great, this morning I drove to work - no forseeable problems. A little while later I tried to start the car and... nothing, not turning over, not clicking at all. Tried a few times, then called it quits... while I was sitting in the car I realized there is a spinning/ almost cassete like noise coming from the immediate left of the steering wheel, it only makes the noise when the lights are in the off position - when you turn it to the on position the noise stops, but the lights will not turn on. Also when the lights are in the off position and the car door is open, the interior lights are flashing. At the same time where the time/ milage is shown is also flashing. I dont want to leave the lights in the on position until i can have it looked at, but im afraid if the noise is somthing shorting that leaving it in the off position and unnatended while im at work could cause a fire. Anyone have something like this happen? Or advice on how to disconect the battery to prevent that from happening??

sincerly, very confused.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 100
Size:  951 Bytes

It sounds like you have a few electrical problems that need investigating. Do you have a workshop manual?

This is a earlier model but it could be some use.

VW Golf & Jetta Mk2 Service and Repair Manual 310 page PDF file.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM

Thank you!
My fiance and father just started trouble shooting the problem. The battery cable was very corroded/ not connected completly - along with the relays under the dash shorting out. (thats what the winding noise was) They were able to clean the terminals and reconect the battery, the car started right up. I seriously appreciate the response/ posting the manual - Im sure it will be helpful in the future as well. I was really at a loss with this one. Fingers crossed it will start again when I leave work tonight

Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Well any noise from a fuse/felay box normally means relays are switching erratically, I'm glad you found some faults.