One last dx for the cabby

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Default One last dx for the cabby

This may be the last time I need some DX help with the cabby but, as always, it is highly appreciated.

Preface:
Blow transmission last week. Found a new one but different code (ACN) so I bought new seal kits and swapped the flanges. Also, the fluid came out of the housing so I went and bought GM syncromesh (as per the cabby-info listing). I drained as much fluid as possible and put in 2 L of new fluid via the speedometer cable hole. Some extra came out, as I assumed it would, due to not all of the previous fluid being taken out.

I took off the drain plug to allow to excess fluid to drain off. (This may have been my down fall here) Was this the wrong thing to do? The shifts felt different after this but they still worked fine.

Something else worth mentioning: upon the initial test drive, it was evident that something was very off. 1st and 2nd gear are colossally slow. It took 20 sec to get to 15 mph sometimes. 3rd gear felt like I was dropping it down into a lower gear instead of shifting up.

I thought this may be timing related so I tweaked it a bit and it ran decent but I had to get on my way to get some stuff done. Half way into my 203 mile trip---->

Driving along on the freeway, the engine just revs out. No power is being transmitted to the wheels.

The engine is running fine, the gears are all available and can be shifted into easily.

The clutch cable is working and not caught on anything but I did try adjusting it afterwards. All linkage seems to be working just fine. Nothing is obstructed or broken. Everything appears to move freely.

After I pulled over and played with the clutch cable, I noticed fluid (gear oil) dripping from the diff housing. It appears to have been cast off as if it were coming from the drive flange area.

Did I mess up the seal? Is this potentially the source of the leak?

The ultimate question that can't really be answered without physical investigation:

Does the differential sound fried?

No photos but there isn't a lot to see, honestly.
Cabriolet FS/FT: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...fburg-in-SW-MI