BRAND NEW DUDE HERE !

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Default BRAND NEW DUDE HERE !

Hello all, And Happy New Year to all of you. Name here is Robert, I live in New MIlford, CT. Its abot 70 mi north of New York City. I just purchased a 1987 Volkswagon Cabriolet Covertable, from a friend of mine. This dude didnt keep very good care of it, but it has now become my little project car. I want a car that got great MPGs. I currently own a 2004 Nissan Xterra. Its a great SUV but I drive a total of about 42 mi per day for work. So I bought the V-Dub to help keep the miles off my X. My buddy that owned the V-dub before me like I said didnt really take very good care of it. It needs a new top, new exhaust, new water pump and while i've got that apart, a new timing belt. Leaks a little oil, but nothing bad at all. Could use new carpet. So for now its up on jack stands in my garage. I just put on a new exhaust, new down pipe, with the toliet bowl down pipe with the Spring Clamps (yeah that was fun, even with the special tool youll need to expand those things) new CAT , New O2 sensor, new pipes and muffler. Nice and quiet now. Next is the Water pump and timing belt. I have pic's that ill post up as this project continues. If there anyone out there that has the same or close to same year, any advice would be great ! Thanks again.....

Old 01-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Default RE: BRAND NEW DUDE HERE !

hey rob, hope you enjoy it here on da forum. if you need any info on your cabriolet just msg me. as for your top issue, what part leaks? some manufactures make repair kits if you can belive that :O as for the oil leaks...its a vdub! they all leak.

but yes, welcome

Old 01-01-2009, 04:30 PM

hmmm neither of my vw's leak oil... also post pics up on www.*********.******.com we have places for DIY's there unlike this site. you can get some really good info and have all your hard work immortalized and always up so you can help a fellow v-dubber out in the future

Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info. as far as the Convertable top leaking and where...everywhere, no patch kit will work. I need to replace the whole top. For now its in my Garage on jack stands, so I'm in no rush to replace it. Right now I'm just working on other stuff on it first, Now i'm on the water pump and timing belt. Ive found this site thanks to this fourm.. www.partsplaceinc.com they gots a ****-load of stuff, all VW..