bizarre electrical malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Default RE: bizarre electrical malfunction

I have a 2004 Cabrio -- that I absolutely adore; but this spring I noticed it seemed a little sluggish. Seemed to have a little less acceleration and occassionally 'coughed'....took it to the dealer, who of course found little to nothing wrong - but did change the brakes and put in new spark plugs for absurd amounts of money!! Shortly after that the car was of course still having the same issues, and now had a new one. The new issue started at the begining of the summer [of course the car's original issue seemed to heal itself] First - in very wet conditions I noticed the ABS brake light come on. My mechanic told me it simply meant that at that time the ABS system was disabled, and that I should have VW look at it when I could....no big problem. Then it started happening more often, but still when damp. Then one day I came home during one BIG electrical/thunder rainstorm and noticed the interior light [that comes on when you open the door] on the drivers side door was on, even though the car was locked up tight and hadn't been touched. Then it went off. WIERD. And its new, additional trick is: I open the car and sit down to drive - drivers side door still open often, and the car RELOCKS all on its own. My guess, the car can't tell I opened the door so it thinks I opened it and walked away and engages that safety feature that relocks. Course, there were days I didn't notice what had happened, and I turned the key only to have my alarm go off?! Yikes. Any ideas? I can bring it to the dealer, but I'd love to have a clue where to send them. Thanks!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM

LOU7200...Ijust boughta 99 cabrio back in February, and it's been in the shop more than I've driven!I've just had the exact same trouble with my speedometer, odometer & tach just last week. I had the clutch replaced and it started doing this. I am definitely going to contact my mechanic and ask him to take a look at the issues you specified, as I think he's afraid to tell me he just doesn't know. Something else, though, that started happening after I had the clutch replaced, is that it keeps slipping out of 5th gear. Do you think I need a complete transmission? Or could this just be something that occurred while having the clutch replaced and it only needs minor adjustments? HELP! I love this car!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM

Missy my 01 cabrio was sluggish and accelerating slowed way down. You should have the throttle body looked at. Ordered and replaced today and it flies like a bat outta hell again I love it. As far as the elec. probs. go ..........i wish i could help.

www.germanautoparts.com <------great site