1995 vw Cabrio with NO SPARK.......HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Default 1995 vw Cabrio with NO SPARK.......HELP!!!

I bought this CABRIO as a basket case. The car is beautiful except for the engine. All the engine parts were in the trunk when I bought it, except the block and head. I was told by the previous owner, that the timing belt broke,he had SOME guy put a new head on it and he did not replace the tensioner pully, the belt broke again and messed the new head up,,,thats when he gave up on it and sold the car to me. I removed the new head and had 4 valves put in it and reinstalled it and all components. I installed a new water pump,plugs, plug wires and several other things that were questionable. I filled the cooling system,changed the oil and filter and stupid me, expected the car to start. I does not. It spins good and pops like it wants to, but wont start. I rechecked all my timing marks and looked for anything not hooked up, but all looks good. I checked for spark at the plug wires and this is my problem. NO SPARK. My ecm relay is clicking, so I assume there is power to it. The middle wire on the coil plug,its black/red, is the signal from the ecm to the coil, and that has no power on it. Anybody have any suggestions on where to start looking? The cabrio is a 95 with auto trans. I'm thinking, maybe crank sensor,then again, I'm not sure. I have fuel to the engine, so the pump is working, just don't have any spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM

My friend has a similar or the same, problem with his Cabby. So any help posted here will help the poster, my friend and me. Thanks

Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM

all ING Fuses and Relays checked?
Do u have on ur hands a Wiring Diagram of the Ignition system?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 PM

distributor

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Default 1995 vw Cabrio with NO SPARK.......HELP!!!

Did you resolve your no spark issue? I have a 98 Cabrio with no spark. It is a little different than your situation. I drove it home from work one day and it would not start the next morning, no symptoms on the drive home the day before. I have since changed the spark plugs (that was a respectable task), distributor cap, rotor button, spark plug wires, ignition coil and ignition switch. I have no power to the fuel pump. I bypassed the relay to check the pump itself, it works when not powered through the relay. When I was driving the car, the airbag light would not go off. I was guessing that it was on because of something I did when pulling the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch. Any thoughts?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 AM

I was told by the previous owner, that the timing belt broke,he had SOME guy put a new head on it and he did not replace the tensioner pully, the belt broke again and messed the new head up,,,thats when he gave up on it and sold the car to me.