Wife and I looking at our 1st Bug tomorrow...nervous, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Default Wife and I looking at our 1st Bug tomorrow...nervous, tips?

My wife had a 1958 Bug when she was in college. She's always wanted another and now we found an ad for a 1963 Black Bug that we are looking at tomorrow. Seller wants $4,500 OBO; seems high, but I have NO idea what these things are worth.

Looks nice in photo; straight; Black paint done by original owner; current owner is third owner, and works on a lot of VW's. Dealer installed gas heater. Seller admits a little bubbling under paint near/in one front fender. Also small rusty/thin spot under driver's feet in floorpan. "Single port 1500," engine.

Any tips to look for in this model year? I am used to looking over used cars to some degree so that does not bother me. I am just new to VW's, so I'm in the dark on that part.

Thoughts appreciated, I'm headed to forum resources to do homework now.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Default RE: Wife and I looking at our 1st Bug tomorrow...nervous, tips?

To estimate what the car might be worth you can try http://www.nadaguides.com/for a rough estimate. If I were looking, the main thing I would look at is the frame to make sure there's no damage and the floor pans, even though you can replace them. Other than that, a good inspection and take it for a test drive. Part are a plenty if something needs fixin'. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Default RE: Wife and I looking at our 1st Bug tomorrow...nervous, tips?

like swedish said check for rust look at front beam check it for rust and jack front of car up and check play in the king and link pins move the spinle up and down side to side see if you have any play in it