who's good with repair??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Default who's good with repair??

i just bought a 2000 beetle, its needs a few minor repairs but nothing i'm not able to do myself. The headlights are all foggy and i thought about getting them cleaned but i'd rather just buy new ones and replace them myself. anybody know how to do that?
does anyone know where the best place to buy headlights are?
i'm looking to do things as cheap as possible, so factory products aren't necessary,
pls let me know!!
pictures would be great!!
thanx a bunch

Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: who's good with repair??

you could clean them yourself, just get some polish. They sell it at Wal-Mart for under $20, otherwise you have to buy EBAY cheap unless someone else has some laying around.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM

swedish must be in love he changed his avatar

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Seems like I get a question about headlamps more than anything else on the new bugs. They come out as an assembly and you replace the blub from the back. If the lens is foggy, cloudy or damaged the unit should be replaced. Removal is a bit of a trick, but if you follow the steps it is rather straight forward. Open the hood and find the assemblies, the right one may be a bit harder to get to than the left, but removal is the same. First release the spring clamp at the rear of each assembly(Pull up) then rotate the tab right in front of the spring. The tab rotates up just as the spring and turns the entire assembly. Then you can slide the assembly forward enough to disconnect the connectors. (some may have a spring retaing clip) Then you can remove the assembly forward through the hole. Replacement is just the reverse of removal. Take time to clean the connectors and the body where the seal contacts. Be careful due to the sharp edges in the area of the assemblies, I have cut myself more than once there.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM

ya i would show mine to but all i get is Damn J your old

i find the leftheadlight harder to do than the right the battery is in the way

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey, I myself have a bug, its an 2001,... I am also looking for headlights,.....lol. but yeah, you could get them on ebay, but there is a great chance that the lights wont seal and you will get moisture in them and short them out.... but if you want good lights,... I have a link that will help you out a bit..... its www.shopcarparts.com....they are pretty cheap there and if you go at the right time, you can get discounts on what they have.... maybe this will help... good luck...have a good one.