What Can I Do About My Girlfriend's Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Default What Can I Do About My Girlfriend's Beetle

My girlfriend has a 73 Super Beetle that has turned into a NE Ohio rotbox. The body is fair, but the floors and frame are very bad. It's got a nice newer interior, new radio, and a rebuilt engine. However last time I tried to get it running it didn't want to make enough power to get over 10mph, and some seals have dried up resulting in a rather nasty oil leak. I'm guessing it'll need to be gone over again.

It's parked behind her parent's house and they want it out of there. She's a little attached to it but not entirely. I have a friend with a lot of land that I can store it at for the time being, but I don't know what to do then.

I'm debating parting the car out but I'm not sure what's worth what on these cars. I'd take a shot at restoring it but for what a nicely redone car sells for ($3-5k) it's really not worth all the effort as far as I'm concerned.

I think she'd prefer to sell it outright, but I'd like to know what parts are valuable/desirable. She overpaid for it ($1200 I think) so getting some of her money back would be nice. I couldn't imagine it being worth more than a few hundred bucks as a parts car.

The only major thing that I would guess is desirable is the automatic-stick transmission. Seeing most cars are 4sp I'd guess this is a less-than-common option and possibly in demand. Am I correct on this? It's also got a nicely redone interior. The body panels are ok, tires in good shape, but that's about it.

I'll try to get some pics over the weekend, but if anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Default RE: What Can I Do About My Girlfriend's Beetle

I think you should let me have it so I can turn it into a Baja Racer for my wife :-) I'll even come get it out of her parents yard for you and take it "as-is" Just let me know . . .

Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 AM

floor pans etc. are pretty cheap. sounds like the engine is WAY outta tune. i doubt it won't make enough power for 10mph.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:02 PM

The big problem with super beetles is rust in the front strut towers, if that is happening then it is close to gone. Semi auto transmissions are cool but not in great demand, cost of repair is high.

If your not making power the motor could very well need a rebuild and with all the oil leaks it would be a good idea.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM

I've checked the strut towers and at least at a quick glance they look ok, but I'd really need a better look at the car. I know floor pans and parts are cheap, but I really don't want to bother too much since a fully restored car is considerably cheaper than restoring it myself.

If the auto-sticks aren't in great demand, we'll probably just sell it as is.