TURBO TIMER QUESTION?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Default TURBO TIMER QUESTION?

I PUT IN A GREDDY TURBO TIMER IN MY BUG 01 1.8T AND EVERTHING WORKS ON THE BOX. BUT WHEN I TURN THE KEY OFF THE CAR DIES .AND THE TURBO TIMER COUNTS DOWN LIKE IT WORKS .THE CAR SHOULD STAY ON AFTER I PULL THE KEY OUT ...ANY HELP WILL DO...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: TURBO TIMER QUESTION?

when you turn the key off the motor should shut off....I'm not sure exactly what you're asking???

Old 05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Default RE: TURBO TIMER QUESTION?

Bagel a turbo timer should maintain the engine running for a predetermined amount of time to allow the oil to cool while circulating after hard runs to prevent damage to the turbo due to oil starvation. Hot oil drains like water but letting it cool allows the oil to become less viscous and leavs a thicker coat on the turbo's interior components leaving it better lubed at the next start. It also prevents caking of oil in the oil feed line. Due to the high heat, if the car is shut down hot, the oil again drains quickly from the turbo and some willl burn off in the oil feed line causing caking similar to that of a cholesterol choked artery. Again you can imagine the damage this oil starvation will cause the turbo at a later date.

Now on to the question turbo girl asked. First thing, when you shut your car off is the e-brake engaged? Most turbo timers are also attached to the e-brake so that if the e-brake is up engaged the engine will shut down immediately. This prevents you from leaving the vehicle in gear when you shut the car off and having the car take off without you being prepared.