stuck in limbo with warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Default stuck in limbo with warning lights

I have a 2002 Beetle with about 46K on it. It has always run well...but in the last year I have had a series of warning lights that have come on and off. Some are now staying on. I've had the blue coolant light stay on....though at times it goes off. It is on more than off though. Coolant level is fine.

In the last couple of months I have had a check engine light come on, and stay on.

A couple of days ago I had the seatbelt airbag light come on and stay on.

The VW dealer told me I would be charged $180 just to get the diagnosis of the warning lights. I left it with the dealer...but found an independent VW shop that told me they would read the warning lights for $90. I took the car out of the dealers and to the independent guy. They did the reading....the check engine light is for catalytic insufficiency.....the seatbelt airbag light....is for the seat belt tension switch. The engine coolant light might be a faulty sensor.

Here is where the limbo comes in. Since the check engine light is a catalytic failure...that is covered by warranty....I need to go back to the dealer. The dealer says that Volkswagen demands that all the other faults be corrected before they can do the catalytic replacement. That may mean having the VW dealer do the fault diagnosis.........kind of where I was in the first place.

I do feel I am in limbo. Any suggestions?

[X(]