New to VW again..... the real post

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Talking New to VW again..... the real post

I posted this partially in the New Member section but wanted to get answers about buying a 1970 Beetle ...

I had a 1968 VW Beetle when I was 17 ( I am not quite that old but feel like it sometimes). I had it for about 3 months before my brother totaled it out being sandwiched between a delivery truck and a pickup. The delivery truck hit him doing about 45mph and shoved the engine into the passenger seat and breaking his collar bone in the process. I had nearly completed the body work and engine work at the time this had happened.

Well it is 22 years later and I am looking at a 1970 VW Beetle that is currently in pieces and looking for advice on what to offer and is it worth the cost of a rebuild (I know... I know .... this is a VW Forum and people are going to be biased)

All the chrome has been removed and appears to be there. The seats and interior have at least 15 years of neglect. Engine seems to be all there and turns over. The body work was done by an amateur and will have to be redone. The floor pans look new and obviously replaced by someone other than the one who did the body work.

This will be my 4th Volkswagen and my 2nd Beetle, but I have been away so long that I have no idea of the value.... Any help on what to look out for and tips, tricks and cautionary advice would be appreciated

Kevin E

Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by panatellos
I posted this partially in the New Member section but wanted to get answers about buying a 1970 Beetle ...

I had a 1968 VW Beetle when I was 17 ( I am not quite that old but feel like it sometimes). I had it for about 3 months before my brother totaled it out being sandwiched between a delivery truck and a pickup. The delivery truck hit him doing about 45mph and shoved the engine into the passenger seat and breaking his collar bone in the process. I had nearly completed the body work and engine work at the time this had happened.

Well it is 22 years later and I am looking at a 1970 VW Beetle that is currently in pieces and looking for advice on what to offer and is it worth the cost of a rebuild (I know... I know .... this is a VW Forum and people are going to be biased)

All the chrome has been removed and appears to be there. The seats and interior have at least 15 years of neglect. Engine seems to be all there and turns over. The body work was done by an amateur and will have to be redone. The floor pans look new and obviously replaced by someone other than the one who did the body work.

This will be my 4th Volkswagen and my 2nd Beetle, but I have been away so long that I have no idea of the value.... Any help on what to look out for and tips, tricks and cautionary advice would be appreciated

Kevin E
first, welcome! second, would you do the work on this beetle yourself as a side project? or have someone else do it? what are you looking to spend?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Good point MWatters, there is so many variables to buying an older car like this. I recently saw a completely restored convertible that was priced at $17000. Obviously, if its a project car you can get one anywhere along the restoration line. You will just have to decide how much time and money you want to throw at a car and that will be a good judge of what you should buy. mercedes window tinting hillsboro Oregon

Last edited by MKV_GTI_PDX; 10-25-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM

One thing I did not mention is that I am in Texas.....
I will doing the majority of the work myself. It will be a father/son project with my 14yr old son.
The cost of rebuilding was not my concern but the initial offer to buy. I have not set a time frame or budget for the rebuild.

I am mechanically inclined and have a decent shop and tools. I will seek professional help when needed as I am not arrogant enough to say that I can do all the work myself.
I am not looking to make a garage queen show pony, but I do want something that I will be proud of.
This will not be my first restoration project, but the first one for myself. In high school I build hot rods and did some restoration project with/for friends and family, so I am familiar with the hidden cost of a basket case rebuild.
I appreciate the feed back and am not shy about asking for help when needed. I come from a line of gear heads and most often won't need to ask for help.

Thanks for the response
Kevin E