New guy looking at a Super Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Default New guy looking at a Super Beetle

Hi i am new here and am looking at a 1974 super beetle and 1973 beetle parts car package deal.

Alittle about me,
I am in college at the moment and still can;t spell so bear with me. I have owned only trucks so far in my life. My 1984 chevy c10 is my baby and no car will take its place. I have rebuilt alot of garden tractors and worked on cars for some time.

Why i like VW
As you can tell i am a chevy truck guy however i have always liked VW. The only car my dad ever bought new was a 198? vw jetta with the 1.8 and 5 speed. We had well over 350,000 orignal miles on it when he sold it and still had the original clutch!!

The reason i am here
My father and i have been searching for a project car for a long time. While my truck is nice it is not the vhical i want to do my first paint job on if you know what i mean. We like early cars that are pre emissions and simple. Also since we live up here in New England rust is a major problem. So finding a good project is hard. Well i have passed on a few now ( 56 olds super 88 i should have bought that one, a 1972 chevy stepside, a 1979 ford f250) My dad wants me to get somthing small that is simple. After missing out on a CJ i did not know what to do. I have always loved theold SB's and thought i would look for one to redo. Now being a college student i have a limited budget to work on so i could not start with a 2,000 dollar car that is running or in nice shape. I plan on doing all of my own body paint and motor/ trans / suspention work. So why not a Beetle? i have loooked at a few and found mostly convertibles which i am not a big fan of. Then this deal caught my eye...... So here is what i know about them. The 74 sper beatle, was torn down for paint that never happend. the body is on the belly pan and the hood front trunk fenders doors are all bolted on and it is in primer. The owner has added fiberglass trunk lid, wider fiberglass fenders front and rear and shaved the stock exhaust cut outs. the car has no motor and no interior but the tranny and wheel and peddles are in it. all the glass is out and in boxes. The 73, is all there with a rotted floor pan. has the semi shift in it and the motor is stuck from sitting not over heating or anthing like that. The floors are really bad and the seats are falling threw the floor. So what my goal is is to get the motor free or rebuild it with some add ons, swap the interior and lights. iwas planning on running ford tear drop tail ights and a preformance exhaust. Then some wide wheels with fat tires. i am going for the hot rod look since it has the fenders and all on it now.
Guy is asking 500 for both and will tow them to my house.

Questions
is this worth it?
Will the 73 motor mount to the 74 tranny?
Will the 73 stuff swapp over or is it diffrent?
also who sells floor patch kit for the bater box and the front passangers side?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks for all the help in advance

Old 10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New guy looking at a Super Beetle

Welcome! Good luck with the cars, as I know little about the old beetles.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:56 PM

Just to clearigy i have not bought them yet but am looking at them and was wondering if any of the form members had any information on the parts switching

Thanks
Ian

Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM

if the 73 is also a super beetle all parts will swap over. if not then things like the brakes and such wont they will fit but not properly the thing to remeber is not to mix and match they are different . interiors and such will interchange you have to look closely at the windshield if you have a locked up motor you might be better buying a rebuilt ready to go one,rather than trying to redo one that will need machine work etc. about $999 for a completer long block if the pan and body are not rusted and they put in a new seal you are ahead of the game . all panels can be bought in patch kit form or even full sides if you want. the best part of your story is you get both cars delivered and you wont have to search for most of the parts online or a junkyard. you should get all new seals dorr windows fenders. paint the fenders at the same time as the car not necessarily on the car but that way colors will match. good luck. hope i could help..

Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM

Well the 73 is unfortunatly not a super beetle. I have all the glass for the super beetle. mainly will the inter and the motor swap? That is really all i am looking to get out of the 73 that and the tail lights and head lights. The 73 has a semi auto so i was thinking of selling that to get back some of my money. Also i could buy a rebuilt 1600cc motor that is out of a 67 beetle for 350 but it does not include the carb or distibuter. would that be stuff i could get off the 73 motor? Also there is another motor for sale for 150 that is running . Let me know as i am ver interested in making this purchase

Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Also whatother forms / web sites are good for info on these old betles? any good parts compainies?

Thanks alot
oh here are some pics of the super beetle
IT is a "project!"

[IMG]local://upfiles/2150/6C7CEE987A334E35B9827361EE28A6F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM

here it is the one above is he color i like

[IMG]local://upfiles/2150/AF3C33C81C4542799CA3E766F2799219.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2150/B270E4888F2D4CFDA313D4F743FA882D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

yes engine will swao yes interior will swap yes light will swap

Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 PM

finbar06 thanks for the info. does any one know of other online resorces for parts and or info on these year beetles and super beetles. Thanks alot

Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM

www.oeveedub.com , www.mamotorworks.com , jcwhitney.com , and of course ebay.good luck .

Quick Reply: New guy looking at a Super Beetle