New Beetle ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Default New Beetle ???

hi, my daughter has a 2000 Beetle. in the time she has owned it I have replaced the plastic skid plate under engine once ($$$) & now the skid plate after losing the buttons that hold it, is damaged & half gone. before I fork over more $$$ for another skid plate how important do you guys thing that thing is ? Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Jsd
Default RE: New Beetle ???

k...I think the real issue is her driving habits. I assume the car isn't lowered at all, shouldn't be having so many issues with destroying the plastic shield. It happens on occassion...but it's just a matter of replacing it and being careful where and how you drive when you might have clearance issues. Otherwise, I recommend not replacing it at all...lol As for it's importance...it's not a "skid" plate, skid plates are made of metal and usually associated with offroading and excessive clearance issues. It's more less there to protect components from the elements (dirt, snow, rain etc.) I have a 92 Golf with NOTHING as far as protection and the only real issues I have is when water gets up into the engine bay my belt will slip and I lose some of my power-assisted steering. For a newer car with all the electronics I would recommend replacing it but again....the problem isn't the plastic shielding, it's the abuse the driver is putting on it.

-Jeff

Old 02-25-2006, 10:44 PM

thanks jeff. yes its lowered also she used to live in a rural area. also found out that those speedy oil change places sometimes don't replace the buttons that hold the belly plate on. the cars got 95,000 on it so i'm thinking I won't replace the plate this time.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 AM

Hi- I have the same problem with my 2000 Beetle- Did you end up leaving the cover off? Any problems with the elements-rocks-rough roads etc? Can you just replace the buttons? Thanks!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Jsd

If you're the type to keep scraping curbs and etc, I would recommend to leave it off. It won't hurt anything. It's just a nice convenient cover to keep the engine bay clean and keep water out. The "buttons" break easily and are EXPENSIVE to replace....why? I dont' know, it's dumb unless you can find them somewhere other than dealers (call the dealer and price them out anyways). Also, you should stay away from speedy oil change places. They could care less about the trim and you end up with broken plastic and hanging covers. Find a friend or learn to them yourself, much cheaper.

If you completely take the cover off, just be a little more careful. Stay out of DEEP puddles in the rain and take it easy on dirt roads or whatever situation that kicks up a lot of debris.

-Jeff

Old 07-25-2006, 09:11 PM

a "little" problem has developed with leaving the belly plate off ! it & the lower front plastic is the only thing the bottom half of the radiator is anchored too, so now it swings a few inches each way. so now I prolly need a new belly plate & lower front plastic trim & all the buttons. and I still haven't replaced the oil pan yet.