import confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Default import confusion

so, I've got myself a bit of a problem. I'm in the Air force and am currently stationed in Japan and soon after getting here I bought myself a 96 mexican VW bug. Well im getting every thing ready to head back and i keep hitting dead ends with trying to get my car home. most if not all the info I've found is all about getting one to the states by directly bying it there in a total package for between 11k and 14k, but i all ready own my car, so i just need to know how much this is going to cost. It'd be a shame to have to get rid of this car, only paid 5,000 for it and it was a steal.
would it make a difference to just ship it back as a shell and leave the engine, because I was planning on putting a 67 Corvair engine and a better transmission in it.
It's just a pretty confusing thing to look up i guess.

silk

Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I was stationed in England. Just tell TMO you want to ship your car back with household goods. They will give you a list of ports to take it to so they can put it on the boat, they will call you when it's ready. As long as you don't have to change too many things on it, should be fine. Would have been $9000 to ship my skyline i had overseas cause lots would have to be changed, I sold it. Air Fore allows you one time vehicle shipment, if they don't they full of it, I'm SSgt, I get paid to know these things!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM

keep the vw motor fuel injected and lasts forever
that corvair motor isnt anything neet and finding parts could be a bitch