I need a new Bug - Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Default I need a new Bug - Advice.

So now learning that my 2003 New Beetle convertible has the plastic intake manifold and will sadly never accept the Neuspeed supercharger, I've decided to sell it and get a new bug. I'd broaden my horizons in to other cars but my wife really wants to get another bug ragtop and I'd figure making her happy would be a good idea. Now it's my primary car and I need it to be more viscerally satisfying than my 2.0 slowpoke now. Often I fear for my life in trying to move through traffic and the lack of power has put me in harms way one too many times. Powerful car = Safe car.

So the requirements are simple: Convertible, manual transmission, more powerful, used.

I see they've now completely abandoned the 1.8T and only have the 2.5 inline 5. New beetles are all automatic now anyway so I've got to go back a few years. Do I get the 1.8T which seems to be 150 hp or go with the 2.5 inline 5 which seems to be the same. I happen to be partial to normally aspirated engines given my disdain for lag.

Any years to stay away from? Any specific advice. I also wouldn't rule out getting an engine that can be modified in the future by a third party company if I ever want it to be even more powerful. Such as if Neuspeed makes a blower for the 2.5 - I'd make sure I dont get one that has some weird issue that prevents modifications (like my problem now, if I had known).

-Josh

Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Default RE: I need a new Bug - Advice.

I cannot find if it came in a convertible.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Default RE: I need a new Bug - Advice.

being a convertible is the single most important feature. I'm probably going to get the 2.5 5 given that it's going to be a newer car and although no one yet makes an aftermarket blower for it they probably will right about the time I feel the need for more power.