hex bolt to the right of oil removale bolt

Old 12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Default hex bolt to the right of oil removale bolt

I was changing oil on my daughters 2002 beetle turbo and I did not have alot of room so while trying to locate oil release bolt on oil pan I accidentally removed hex head bolt and approx. a pint of oil looking fluid came out. What is that bolt for? It certainly was not the oil pan bolt I was searching for. Please help since now transmission seems to be low of fluid. How can I fix this problem. Please help!

Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 676
Size:  951 Bytes

Sorry your not going to like this but giving idiots tools is fatal. If you didn't know where the drain plug was then you shouldn't have attempted the job without buying a workshop manual or searching the web. As for which plug you removed and only a pint of oil came out what colour was the oil? If it was red then you drain some transmission oil which needs to be replaced else you will develop expensive transmission problems.

You don't say which Beetle it is petrol or diesel but here is how to change the engine oil and filter on a TDI so its going to be similar. You need to remove the plastic splash guard then you will see the engine sump behind it with the drain plug at the lowest point.

Changing your engine oil: VW TDI

Make sure you have bought the correct oil spec for that Beetle?

If this Beetle is a TDI then I would suggest you join a very good TDI forum. VW TDI forum and Audi TDI forum - myturbodiesel.com

Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 AM

Well first and foremost I would like to thank you for calling me an idiot. As for the particular volkswagen beetle it is a gas engine. It seems to be the pan that is to the right of oil pan if you were to be facing rear under vehicle. The substance appeared to be oil but since I have taken hex head bolt out it does not go into gear immediately but seems fine once traveling. Any thoughts? Is there a placee where I can download pic of bottom of engine? again this is a 1.8l turbo. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry if I offended you but I read loads of help threads in forums because they are trying to do simple jobs and they **** it up as you have shown.

Why is your engine that much different from the TDI when it comes to draining the oil it still has a sump plug on the base of the sump?

As I've said if you drained some of the auto gearbox oil you need to top it up before you drive it any distance.