HELLO... AND HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Default RE: HELLO... AND HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swedishgp or jrailer please correct me if I'm wrong here but here's my kick.

The vacumm is to advance the timing a bit as you drive.The carb will suck air out of a biscuit on the side of your distributor advancing everthing a few degrees. If you don't have this biscuit, then maybe youhave a centrifugal type distributor and that's why when you pull the vacumm off nothing happens. If you have the biscuit, suck (no comments) on the carb side of the vacumm line and watch a small arm underneigth the distributor cap move back and forth. If it does then your vacumm is good, just maybe hooked up to the wrong place.

Also a little note about the timing. You can set it statically (without the enigne running). If your interested I'll write you on how to do it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM

Hey thanks

I do have the biscuit I will have to try the blowing thing. I think the carb is 34 pict. (I think)

If you would tell me how to do it without the engine running that woudl be great, and What I need to do it. My crank shaft pully only has 3 marks on it by the way.

My prob is I do not have a good timing light so I have to hook a spring thing up to plug then to the plugwire, then clip the timing light onto the spring, so I do not think car is running good to begin with because of that. The timing light does not have a niceinductive clip like I thoguht it was going to.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:51 PM

you need a test light
hook it to ground and the condencer side of the coil turn the crank untill the light lights up that will get you close
a easy way to do it too is pull tha cap off the distributer and line the rotor up with the small grove in the distributer where the cap seats not the big notch that keeps you from putting the cap on backwards

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM

on your vacume hoses one should have vacume at idle this goes to the back of the advance unit
the other one will have vacume when you give it throttle it goes on the front
cap off the other port on the carb

Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM

I only have one hose on the vacuum unit. No place to have noather hose. Is the advance even needed? I disconnected and i noticed no difference at idle or when pressing on the accelerator.

I did make some headway though. My bypass screw was 7-1/2 turns out from fully closed!!! I adjusted that and seems alot better now then it ever was.

Would this getting that carb adjusted better/rightimprove on my gas milage at all?

thanks again everyone.

I'm getting there

Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM

hey everyone

Well The thing idles liek a dream now! nice and puurrty!!

But when i went to go for a ride when you come right onto the gas, it will spit and sputter, and fiight to go, if you let off and play with it she'll go, and when it gets by that stumbling, she cranks and take off nice.

Any thoughts?

Still yet to know if the timing is alright.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM

accelorator pump jet
with the engine off look into the carb do you have a small nozzel just below the choke?
if no it is gone and you need a new one
if so does it spray any fuel when you pull the throtle open if not it is pluged up if it does move it with a screwdriver so it sprays down the intake without hiting the butterfly

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Hey Jrailer

I checked it outit is squirting fuel very good. It is a brand new carb so it should I would think LOL

Only has stubbling problems when you are going down the road and try to accelerate quickly. But like I said if you play with the throttle (feather it kinda) and press easy on the pedaland get by it, after it does it takes right off.

I have to getting running reliable by Sunday!! My family has a daytrip planned.

Thanks Jrailer

Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 PM

try bumping the timing up just a tad

Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 AM

hey Jrailer

Well I think I got it now as good as I am going to get it for now.

I did static test it like you said. After I did that and took it for a ride still no real change.
I did notice though the more I turned the distributor CCW (if I remember right) Idle increased and it ran much better. Do I sound confused about that statement? All in all from where I first had the distributor and the body marked for line up, the distributor isjust about1/4" turned CCW from the original mark. Runs much better now.
Can I hurt anything?
Is 1/4" way to much?

I do not know why the test light method did not put me spot on like I thoguht it would.

Now I still od not think my vacuum advance is working. I only have one hose, and only one place on the biscuit to hook up to anyway. Could that vacuum adavnce be part of the problem? I blew in the hose towards the biscuit and nothing moved, I even tryed with my air compressor, and nothing.