Drivers window acting finicky

Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Default Drivers window acting finicky

Just purchased a 2012 Turbo Beetle in Platinum Gray and the drivers window seems to have a mind of its own. For the most part when you tap the button once the window goes all the way down and the same for coming up. However, sometimes when you tap it once the window goes part way down and part way up. Is anyone having a similar issue?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 47
Size:  951 Bytes

Yes the tap on the switches can be a bit finicky. I think if you press it for more than 1 second it will go all the way down and up its just a matter of getting the timing right. A gentler tap it will stop when you do.

It should say this in the handbook if you have read it. If you still think its a problem then go back to the dealer and report this as a fault under warranty.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
Welcome to the forum.

Yes the tap on the switches can be a bit finicky. I think if you press it for more than 1 second it will go all the way down and up its just a matter of getting the timing right. A gentler tap it will stop when you do.

It should say this in the handbook if you have read it. If you still think its a problem then go back to the dealer and report this as a fault under warranty.
Thanks for your response. I will try your suggestion to press the button for more than a second and see if that corrects the problem. If not, I will go back to the dealer and report the issue. Everything else works perfectly and I love my Bug.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Visited the dealer today to pick up some accessories and while I was there I mentioned the window issue to the service manager. He told me that there is an issue with the window motor and it will have to be replaced to correct the problem. The new motors are on backorder at this time so he told me to bring the car back in early September and he will replace the motor.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

So did they check the motor and switch for you or just tell you its a common fault thats why motors are on backorder?

Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Keithuk
So did they check the motor and switch for you or just tell you its a common fault thats why motors are on backorder?
It seems that it is a common problem. When I brought it to the attention of my salesman he told me that several of his customers have the same issue. When we met with the service manager he too was aware of the issue. Apparently, hot weather makes the problem worse as this issue stared in Florida. I am guessing that VW is sourcing a new motor hence the backorder. Hope that answers you questions.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Went back to the dealer today to get an update on the fix for the driver side window. They have tried changing out the gears as recommended by Volkswagen but that did not solve the problem. VW has told the dealer to stop the gear change out until they figure out what is causing the problem. I have a scheduled service in mid September and hopefully there will be fix by that time. I guess I will just have to wait and see. More to come.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM

I decided to email Volkswagen today to make sure they are aware of the window problem. They responded by asking me when was my last visit to the dealer as well as the dealers name and location. I provided that information and they promised to get back with me soon. Will post their reply when I get it.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

I'm afraid VW customer services aren't that good. On my 2nd service I tolder the dealer that the drivers seat was beginning to sag at the back. They checked it and ordered and fitted a new seat base, the new one was exactly the same as the old one. They said they couldn't do anymore contact VW customer services which I did.

All as VW customer services do it contact the dealer who did the job. They said try a new vehicle and compare it. The new GTD's come with leather seats as standard so they will be different. They also said take it to another dealer to investigate. I took it to another dealer but they could find anything wrong only a loose bolt on the pivot.

You don't really notice it straight of you have to drive it for a couple of miles then it sags more. I told them that but they still wouldn't do anything more.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM

Decided to report my drivers window problem directly to Volkswagen Customer Care. They assigned a reference number to my case and told me they would discuss the issue with my dealer and get back to me. Received a call from one of their representatives yesterday who told me that Volkswagen is definitely aware of this problem and is actively working on a solution. They offered to make my first months car payment for my troubles which I gladly accepted. They hope to have a solution very soon and promised to report back to me when they do. Other than the window issue, I am completely satisfied with my new 2012 Beetle Turbo.

Last edited by turboman; 07-10-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers window acting finicky