Bus engine in a bug?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Default Bus engine in a bug?

I have my eye set on a beautiful 1960's Beetle, and I'm wondering how effective putting a VW Bus engine would be as to compared to the one already in there. I'm most likely getting a new engine regardless. Also, I've been loving Beetles since I was a little girl, but I'm not very car savvy, so any help would be awesome. The auto I have my eye on isn't mine yet.

Name:  lilbug2.jpg
Views: 4462
Size:  55.6 KB

Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Bus engine in a bug?

I'll Pm you a picture of me in the shower if you can succesfully answer my question (I'm not a heffie, btw.....)

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM

if i remember correctly a bus engine is 2L and has a fair bit more power than a stock bug motor. So yes a bus engine will go in nicely

Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 AM

A friend of mine ask me to find a VW Beetle or Bus Engine Case AS-41 Case Savers 1600... It was a universal case that can be used in a bus or beetle. It is the desirable AS-41 with factory installed Case Savers. It is from a 1600 dual port engine. Now his VW beetle parts runs so great that I almost wanna trade mine with his bug and I am assuring that the reason behind his smooth ride was all because of the bus engine... So, I'll definitely say it would be nice having a bus engine in a bug... I'll be waiting for the PM... LOL...

Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM

We used to install the bus engine in the Bug's in the mid 60's all the time. They had 10 more hp than the stock bugs. The only thing we had to change was the intake manifold. The bus engine had a govner on them with a lower profile intake manifold. Also we change the air/fuel ratio jet in the top of the carb. The Bus had larger holes in the jet than the Bug engine. They also came with a heavier clutch in them.

OK, that's your history lesson for today

Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Your picture looks to be at least a 1968 beetle, I don't know
where other info is comming from but the bus engine was exactly
the same as the bug except for the engine mounts, The bus engine
became a lot larger in later years, but wouldn't bolt into the bug.
The bus engine had a problem with engine block warpage because of it being the same size of the bug and having to pull the
extra weight, the bus was geared down and the engine had a governor on it, but all the extra heat destroyed the bus engine, so
it's not a good idea to do that kind of transplant.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 AM

Type II engines will mount in a Type I, but a Type I will not mount inside a Type II. I'm getting ready to pull a Type II engine out of the back of the garage and put it in my '76!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:20 PM

you will need the input shaft off the bus trans it is longer and needs to fit the pilot bgr
have fun pulling transmions appart need to pull diffs off bug trans
the bus trans you could pull the bell housing
if you are talking both 1600 then they are the same

Old 03-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Yes, they're both 1600s.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 PM

Quick Reply: Bus engine in a bug?