Beetle Safety Features

Old 09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up Beetle Safety Features

My husband and I were recently rear-ended by another driver while in our 08 Beetle. Our Beetle was damaged but we suffered very little soreness. The front seats both collapsed to the floor and won't ratchet up or down anymore, so we're wondering, is this a safety feature or what? In any case, we were very lucky. Our seats absorbed the impact and the girl that hit us is insured and our car will be fixed. We've only had the car 2 months and I've waited for a yellow beetle my whole life!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by HelenW
My husband and I were recently rear-ended by another driver while in our 08 Beetle. Our Beetle was damaged but we suffered very little soreness. The front seats both collapsed to the floor and won't ratchet up or down anymore, so we're wondering, is this a safety feature or what? In any case, we were very lucky. Our seats absorbed the impact and the girl that hit us is insured and our car will be fixed. We've only had the car 2 months and I've waited for a yellow beetle my whole life!
Sounds like you guys got lucky! I've never heard of that kind of safety feature on the beetle but that doesn't mean it's not one. Either way, I'm glad you guys are ok! VW has such a great reputation when it comes to safety, it's nice to hear stories like this. How much damage did the accident cause to the exterior?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Not nearly as much as the Honda that hit us. I love my car! We asked the body shop people who are fixing it, and they hadn't heard of those seats as a safety feature either, so maybe it's not be intentional, but those seats collapsing really cushioned the impact on us. The Honda was really smashed up, but my car looked like I had just lightly backed into a fence or something. So far, the damage estimate is a little over $2000, but they're still fixing.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by HelenW
Not nearly as much as the Honda that hit us. I love my car! We asked the body shop people who are fixing it, and they hadn't heard of those seats as a safety feature either, so maybe it's not be intentional, but those seats collapsing really cushioned the impact on us. The Honda was really smashed up, but my car looked like I had just lightly backed into a fence or something. So far, the damage estimate is a little over $2000, but they're still fixing.
That's amazing! Sounds like you'll be talking up Volkswagens from now on What do they have you driving in the meantime?