airconditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Default airconditioning

i have this 1976 Volkswagen beetle 1200cc ... i was wondering if it is possible to install an airconditioning system... my father always telling me that it isn't possible coz the engine wouldnt be able to withstand the rrequirements of the aircon... i already had installed an alternator, which is usually required when installing an airconditioning system, said by the local machine shop owner... wat would happen if i install it??? will my engine be destroyed or what??? please help... im really planning to buy a compressor so that i could install it in my beetle... hope someone could help me on this...

im from cotabato city, philippines
owner of an apple green
1976 model Volkswagen 1200cc

thanks...

Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
REB
Default RE: airconditioning

I have read that this is possible. The hard part is figuring out where to put everything. I have been searching for a diagram of how to do this, so I would also like to know.

Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
REB

I did find this kit;

VW AC Kit. I didn't see if it comes with instructions or not.

And then there is Vintage Air but I do not know how well it works.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm sure it is possible. I've seen it done different ways. I've heard of the old cars using "swamp coolers." You strapped one of these coolers to your pax window and slid a block of ice inside. The wind going through the cooler as the car's moving traveled over the ice and in the window. The thing looks like a missile laucher strapped to your car. Anyway, if you want to commit yourself to installing a compressor and all the fixin's just remember you'll be pulling horsepower off the engine. I've seen a/c installed on the later beetle, but the later models were 1600cc or bigger. I don't mean to be a stick in the mud--just something to consider.