2003 VH Bettle

Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM
nod
Default 2003 VH Bettle

Hello everyone I have been searching the forum to see if I could find any information on a problem that a friend of mine is having with a 2003 VW Beetle that they recently purchased. The car has 116,000 miles but looks to be in great condition and was running fine. Then one day the "check engine" light came on and they took the car to a local auto repair shop, not a VW dealer service shop.

The repair shop ran a computer analysis and said that the scan found trouble codes. At this point I do not know what the actual codes are but here is what they recommended to correct the problems discovered by the scan.

Air pump motor and hose needed to be replaced
PVC Hose and breather connecter and hose needed to be replaced
Dip Stick assembly needed to be replaced
Intake vacuum hose and reservoir needed to be replaced
Turbo hose needed to be replaced

My friend had them proceed with the repairs for a total cost of $2,100 parts and labor. The check engine light does not come on now but the engine at idle is very rough and runs between 500 to 700 rpm's. While driving it seems to run fine. But when stopped either in gear, park or N the engine runs rough and not at a steady speed. The repair shop says everything checks out on the computer and there is nothing that they need to do, drive and it will get better??

Other than the check engine light coming on the car was running fine and was idling a constant smooth speed.

I am trying to get the actual codes that the repair shop said the found from the scan but would appreciate any input and your thoughts on this which may help as my friend talks with the repair shop to get this resolved.

Thanks Don

Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Don. Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 60
Size:  951 Bytes

Isn't no good posting what you/they think is wrong you need to post the error codes.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 AM
nod

I am trying to get the actual codes today. What is the format of the codes, letters, numbers and how many. Thanks

Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

They can be in various formats depending on the machine that diagnosed them.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)s can start with a letter then 4 numbers and maybe a letter or two:

B = Body
C = Chassis
P = Powertrain
U = Network

Or VAG number which can 4 numbers to 7 numbers with no letters.

e.g.

VAG Error Code: 18042
EOBD II Error Code: P1634

Fault Location:
Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 2 (G185) - Signal too High

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Reduced Engine Output.

Wiring/Connector(s).
Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor 2 (G185) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Have a look at the Pedal Position Sensor assembly, not the Throttle Body.
Check all connections between ECU and accelerator pedal - of course the pedal itself could be defective too.
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
There are 2 sensors in the accelerator pedal, both measure the same except that they are working in opposite directions. This means one counts from 0 to 100, while the other one counts from 100 to 0.
Accelerator Position Sensor faults can be caused by issues with the Oxygen Sensor(s) and it's wiring. Please verify this BEFORE replacing the ECM or Accelerator Pedal. Accelerator Pedal failure is very rare.

As taken from my https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ge...oftware-34973/