2000 Beetle GLS- so many problems where do i start- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Default 2000 Beetle GLS- so many problems where do i start- HELP!

ok, I've had my beetle for over 3 years now and have had really nothing but problems with it. the sunroof was broke when i got it- which the dealership failed to fix. the check engine light has been on forever. I had the code checked and was told that it's an emissions thing- smog pump- whatever.... not sure what it exactly is and dont have the money to take it in to get looked at. this past winter, i was fortunate enough to get stuck in some snow which broke my lower front valance, which then broke my radiator fan (small one for a/c) and my radiator. i fixed the fan and radiator but now my a/c doesnt work (which sucks with hacing black leather on 90 degree days). what could possibly be the problem? also, for awhile my car would die... or wouldnt start. not sure why but i would let it sit all day after tryin all morning and suddenlt it would start. one of those times my airbag warning light came on and has been on ever since. car hasnt died since then but the check engine and airbag light havent gone off either. to add to that, i found out that my high setting for my wipers doesnt work now, which sucks in rain. not sure why or how to fix that. and now to top it all off, my locks (lock i should say, since i only have the drivers side one) isn't working. the key pad on my keys dont work so i have to manually lock and unlock my doors. lately, and frequently, i've been having issues with the doors actaully locking/unlocking. if the car doesnt "beep" when doing it, it wont work, and if i try to start the carwith out itbeeping firstthe alarm will go off which means i stand outside tryin to unlock it until the alarm goes off.... took me almost 5 minutes to get into my car today! i'm at my wits end with this car and cant wait till i can get rid of it.... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG AND HOW TO FIX IT!!!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Default RE: 2000 Beetle GLS- so many problems where do i start- HELP!

Hah I know exactly how you feel. I got a new beetle in 2005 that was not used or anything and I had nothing but problems with it. It was the same problems over and over. The probs would get fixed and they would break again. My reverse light was replaced 3 times, the trunk latch I think 3 times as well, the front light cover was getting moisture in it and was replaced like 4 times and the airbag light constantly came on. I knew it was time to do something when the car wouldn't start. We took it in and when it was ready to pick up my dad discovered that none of the problems had been fixed. Hah we decided to just get an 07 beetle. I loved my 05 beetle but I hated the problems I had with it. I wish I knew what was wrong with it so I could tell you how to fix it but I am the typical girly girl who knows nothing abou cars. Just wanted to tell you maybe it's a sign like it was for me just to get something totally different or if you are a beetle fanatic like me get another one. Best of luck and sorry I couldn't help!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: 2000 Beetle GLS- so many problems where do i start- HELP!

Sounds like normal 1998 thru 2001 Bug problems. The check engine light is probably the O2 sensor on the exhaust system. Unless you are in California you don't have a smog pump. As far as your AC goes look at the top of the battery case. There is a small cover that hides five high amperage fuses.Take a look at this because the AC is on a high amp fuse. If the car lost total electrical power at one time your problems could be related to that. If that happened the car has to be recodedat a dealer or authorized service center. I also advise the purchase of the Haynes Repair Manual on the New Bettle from Pep Boys or any good auto parts store, it is not expensive and may help in tracking down some of your problems. Hope this will get you started.