1998 Beetle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Default 1998 Beetle Problems

Yes I realize I am a new member so lets skip the bashing. LOL. My wife owns a 1998 Beetle. She loves this thing and just paid it off last Friday. Wouldn't you know it now the problems start adding up.... It developed a small miss that I would associate with a fuel filter issue in any other type of vehicle. So like a good husband I changed the fuel filter. It would not self prime or start for over an hour after the filter was changed then all of a sudden it fired up and that was it. I still had a slight hesitation but not as bad as it was prior to changing the filter. Now on the way home from the store tonight It started running like crap and died on us while coasting. I popped the clutch and got it to re start and try to head towards the home. Now I got buzzers and alarms going off with the abs, break and airbag warning lights on. It really started running bad and died. We came to a complete stop and tried to restart but this time we had nothing... The starter would not engage or crank the motor. The instrument panel is going nuts. The window wouldn't go up. The head lights would not turn on at first but the marker lights would. While waiting on the tow vehicle everything changed. The head lights started working but the markers would not. The instrument gauges maxed out and the windows started working. WTH???

Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

You need to find someone to scan your motor for any error codes logged in the ecu, that will save alot of guessing. Preferably someone with VAG-COM\VCDS.

You don't say where you live but if your in USA then AutoZone will do a free scan in the hope you buy something of them. Get a printout or write down all the error code numbers found.

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/

Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Default 1998 VW Beetle?

My 1998 VW Beetle just recently has started over heating ... it only does it when I have my air conditioner on & in stop and go traffic... anyone know what could be wrong?

*the fans are working fine
*coolant is in the car where it should be

... anyone??