1973 super beetle running rough!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Default 1973 super beetle running rough!

it all started about a month ago when i was drivinglyle (my car's name)down the road and my car started jerking and sputteringback and forthwhen i would accelerate as if my car were running out of gas and running on good ol' fumes. anyways i filled up the next day and was running into the same problem. i noticed my car was idiling awful low, and would die every 10 seconds. it got to the point where i had to keep my foot constantly on the gas pedal in order for my car not to die. i had the carb adjusted, valve's adjusted, new spark plugs, plug wires, points, condensor, and rotar replaced. also replaced all the vacuum hoses. all of that helped keep the car running and it drives, but still sputters and jerks when i accelerate quickly or go up any type of hill. i dont know what else to check. i also put HEET into the gas tank because i thought there might have been some water in the gas tank, but after burning a full tank of gas/HEET mixture, my car still runs rough. it is a fairly new rebuilt engine and new carb. i was just wondering if anyone could give me someadvice of what to do now. it gets me from point A to point B, but i know it has more potential. it has ran way betterin the past.thanks a lot.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Default RE: 1973 super beetle running rough!

Sounds like trash or water in the carb, it has what we called a
spray knozzel for the acc pump to squirt fuen down the carb
when you acc for more power. that would stop up easy and
had to be cleaned often.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM

I have a similar problem. My 73 ran fine the first week, then it started to hesitate when I pushed the gas pedal.Once at cruising speed it would seem to bog down when the pedal was pushed all the way to the floor.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:18 AM

I had a similar problem with the '71 SuperI used to have. I did all of the normal things like you, plugs, wires, etc. Still ran rough, especially during the rain or if it was real humid out. I finally took the carb apart only to find the float was about half full of gas, so during certain weather events it would allow too much fuel into the engine causing it to sputter just like it was running out of gas. This was probably do more to barometric pressure than the rain. I still have that float, and it still has the gas in it, some 11 years later.