1971 fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Default 1971 fuse box

Any one have a picuture of diagram of the fuse & relay box.
been trying to work from the wiring diagram & not sure I am reading it right. also I think someone else got in thre before me.

full story.
bug wouldn't start until i wiggled the wires under the steering column coming from the keys.
broke down the steering column to see if there was a loose wire and the part disintergrated. got & installed the wires from the lock/key on the steering wheel and followed wires that had been there up to the fuses.(well someone else did that while I passed them through). engine started like a beauty.
reattached steering but somehow made the horn barlive.
didn't realise untill next day. thought it had to be the wiring done to the fuse box. tried to fix. have all lights back working but turning the key just clicks in the rear of the car (no turn over).
was told making it live could have fried the starter solinoid, and to take a wire straight from the battery to the solinoid & if it didn't crank it was the starter/solinoid. did this from the battery of a freinds car with jump cables (red only attachedd) nothing.

haven't tried bump start as I am not sure thats a good idea.

any ideas??? anyone. live back end of nowhere & need to get it to run to get it to a shop.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM

My ignition didn't work, when I initially got mine. taking a wire direct from the battery is a bad way. If you look in the rear passenger wheel well, there is a hole through which you can spy the starter. Use a piece of metal (like a pry bar) to jump the connection from the ground to the little pin above it. This has to be done with the key on, and please take care to avoid touching the body of the car, when you do this.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Name:  Xmas.gif
Views: 171
Size:  7.7 KB Name:  VWwelcome.gif
Views: 203
Size:  951 Bytes

1971 fuse box on what?

https://volkswagenforum.com/forum/ne...gnature-34185/